Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you love chocolate cake and you have a good cocktail then this chocolate cake shot (sometimes called a wedding cake shot) is perfect for you! This shot is smooth and sweet and surprisingly tastes just like chocolate cake.
What is a chocolate cake shot?
A chocolate cake shot, or wedding cake shot, is the perfect combination of Frangelico and vanilla vodka. It is a great shot to be used for birthdays, weddings, or any other fun adult occasions where cake is appropriate.
At first glance you wouldn’t expect Frangelico, vanilla vodka, and a sugar lemon to taste just like chocolate cake. However when mixed all together they sure do! Another cake tasting shot is the pineapple upside down shot.
If you like the chocolate taste, try out the Chocolate Old Fashioned or the chocolate cupcake cocktail.
Pretty obviously vanilla vodka is vodka that has a vanilla flavor and sugared lemons are similar to a lemonade flavor. But you may wonder what Frangelico tastes like.
Frangelico is a light brown liquor which has a strong hazelnut taste with light notes of roasted chocolate, vanilla chocolate and other herbal notes. It is similar in taste to amaretto but not exactly the same.
How to make this drink:
This chocolate cake shot is super easy to make with only two ingredients and a relatively simple garnish.
- ½oz Frangelico
- ½oz Vanilla vodka
- Lemon wedge
Gather together your equipment and ingredients.
Fill your cocktail shaker almost to the top with ice.
Prepare your shot glass and garnish.
Slice your lemon into wedges.
Either take the wedge or dip into your cocktail shaker of ice the rim of your shot glass so that it is wet.
Then, place sugar on a small saucer and dip the rim of your shot glass into the sugar so that it sticks.
Next, take your lemon wedge and place one side and then the other and the sugar so that it is fully coated. Place it on the rim of your shot glass.
Using your jigger, measure ½oz of Frangelico and dump into your cocktail shaker. Then measure ½ oz of vanilla vodka and also add that into your cocktail shaker.
Place the top on your cocktail shaker and shake well. Then remove the top and pour the Frangelico and vanilla vodka into your shot glass.
To take the shot, suck on your sugar lemon wedge and then immediately follow by taking your shot. Enjoy the delicious chocolate cake flavor!
Chocolate Cake Shot
- shot glass
- cocktail shaker
- Hawthorne strainer
- ½ oz Frangelico
- ½ oz Vanilla Vodka
- Lemon wedge
- Start by preparing your garnish and shot glass.
- Cut a lemon into wedges and run a wedge around the rim of your shot glass.
- Add a thin layer of sugar to a saucer and place your shot glass rim down so that the rim is coated in sugar.
- Take a lemon wedge and place each side into the sugar so the wedge is coated in sugar.
- Fill the cocktail shaker full of ice.
- Using your jigger measure ½ oz of Frangelico and add to cocktail shaker.
- Measure ½ oz of Vanilla vodka and add to cocktail shaker
- Put top on shaker and shake thoroughly.
- Remove top and add Hawthorne strainer over cocktail shaker opening.
- Pour liquid from shaker into shot glass.
- To take shot: First suck on your sugared lemon wedge, then quickly take your shot.