Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you love dessert shots, then you must try this pineapple upside down shot. It literally tastes just like pineapple upside down cake and it is so smooth and delicious.
What is a Pineapple Upside Down Shot?
A pineapple upside down shot tastes just like liquid pineapple upside down cake (similar to the chocolate cake shot which tastes like liquid chocolate cake). It is a sweet delicious and fruity dessert shot.
This shot is just a few simple ingredients and they mix together just perfectly for a sweet, smooth flavor. The pineapple juice is a key flavor in this shot with it’s sweet, tart and tropical flavor dominating this drink. If you like pineapple juice drinks, you can also make a pineapple upside down martini.
The vanilla vodka adds just a smidge of sweet and vanilla flavoring. Vodka (non-flavored) is known for being fairly tasteless (which lends it to mixing well for lots of cocktails and even candy infusions like vodka gummy bears). The vanilla vodka really just adds a little of the vanilla flavor to this drink.
The grenadine helps to add a very big pop of sweet to this shot. But also brings with it some cherry flavor as well.
This dessert shot is perfect for parties and celebrations. While the summertime matches with the tropical pineapple flavor well, it works for most anytime occasions. It is so easy to make, but has a cool bright colored pop of yellow and bright red, so it is a very festive layered shot.
How to make this drink:
This shot is very easy to make. Shake your ingredients up and you’re good to go.
- .25 oz grenadine
- 1 oz pineapple juice.
- 1 vanilla vodka
- Maraschino Cherry
Grab your shot glass, cocktail shaker, jigger and Hawthorne strainer as well as your ingredients and let’s get started.
Take some ice and fill your cocktail shaker with it.
Dump 1 oz of pineapple juice into your cocktail shaker over your ice. You can measure the one ounce with your jigger.
Dump 1 oz of vanilla vodka into your cocktail shaker with your pineapple juice and ice. Again you can measure the 1 oz with your jigger.
Put the top onto your cocktail shaker and give it a shake. You’ll want to shake for around 15 to 20 seconds to make sure everything is thoroughly mixed.
Remove the top of your cocktail shaker. Put your Hawthorne strainer on top of your cocktail shaker. Then, strain the liquid from your cocktail shaker into your shot glass.
Use your jigger to measure ¼ of an ounce of grenadine. Take your bar spoon and place it upside down into the shot glass just above the liquid level. Slowly and gently pour the grenadine over the back of the bar spoon and it will layer into the bottom of the glass.
Add a cherry to the top of your glass and you are ready to take your shot! You can either eat the Cherry before or after the shot to complete the flavor.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Shot
- bar spoon
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- shot glass
- .25 oz Grenadine
- 1 oz Pineapple Juice
- 1 oz Vanilla Vodka
- Maraschino Cherry
- Fill your cocktail shaker with ice.
- Take a maraschino cherry and place it on the rim of your glass – you can use a knife to cut a small notch in the cherry so it will hold in place.
- Use your jigger to measure 1 oz of pineapple juice. Pour that juice into your cocktail shaker.
- Use your jigger to measure 1 oz of vanilla vodka. Pour that vodka into your shaker with the ice and juice.
- Get the shaker top and put it on. Shake well until the outside of the shaker is cold.
- Remove the shaker top and put on the hawthorne strainer.
- Pour the shot into your shot glass.
- Use your jigger to measure ¼ oz of grenadine
- Take your bar spoon upside down just above the top of the liquid.
- Slowly pour the grenadine over the back of the bar spoon. It will sink to the bottom of the shot glass.