Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you love margaritas and caffeine, try out this coffee margarita which combined the best of both worlds. This boozy coffee infused drink is sure to be a hit at any party.
What is a Coffee Margarita?
A coffee margarita is a combination of tequila, cold brew, Kahlua and triple sec. Not surprisingly, it tastes like a coffee infused margarita complete with the iced coffee flavor with a kick of tequila and a citrus twist.
Triple sec is a liqueur that is commonly used in margaritas. It is made from a neutral base spirit. It is then infused with orange peels. The resulting liqueur is a sweet orange flavor.
Tequila is the main liquor typically used in margaritas. It is made from the blue agave plant. It has a slightly sweet and slightly spicy flavor. There are multiple kinds of tequila, but the most common one used will be a silver tequila and is what we used in the recipe below.
Kahlua is a coffee flavored liqueur. It is a dark rich color. It is made from sugar, rum and air peak of coffee beans. It is sweet and strongly coffee flavored.
Cold brew is a type of coffee that is made by deeping coffee grounds in water for a long period of time. The resulting cold coffee drink has a high caffeine content and a very strong coffee flavor. You can purchase this at the store or make some on your own.
When to Make This Drink:
This margarita is fun to serve at a wide range of different times such as:
- holiday parties
- guys or girls night out
- afternoon sipping
- after dinner drinks
If you want to change this cocktail up a little, try one of these ideas out:
- Use a coffee flavored tequila. Try it tequila such as patron XO Cafe which is a coffee flavor tequila if you really want to ramp up the coffee flavor in this drink.
- Give a citrus twist. Add a little splash of lime or lemon juice if you want to add an extra citrus twist.
- Substitute the triple sec. You can try a different orange liqueur such as Grand Marnier or Cointreau in place of the triple sec.
- Substitute the Kahlua. There are other coffee liqueurs you can use instead of Kahlua such as Tia Maria.
- Rim and garnish the glass. You can rim the glass and salt or sugar and garnish with a lime wedge like you would a normal margarita.
A few other cold coffee cocktails are: cold brew martini and espresso martini.
How to make this drink:
If you’ve got 5 minutes, you can shake this one up. Toss all four ingredients into your shaker and make sure they are mixed well.
- 2 oz Tequila
- 2 oz Cold brew
- 1 oz Kahlua
- 1 oz Triple sec
Gather together your jigger, margarita glass, cocktail shaker, Hawthorne strainer, ice, cold brew, tequila, triple sec and Kahlua.
Grab your margarita glass and cocktail shaker. Fill both with ice until they are almost filled to the top.
Take your cold brew. If you’ve purchased it from the store, it’s usually in a concentrate form and has instructions for mixing it with water. Make sure you follow these instructions.
Use your jigger and measure out 2 oz of cold brew. Toss that into the shaker.
Take your tequila. Use your jigger, and measure out 2 oz of tequila. Toss that into the shaker.
Take the triple sec. Use your jigger, and measure out 1 oz of triple sec. Toss that into the shaker.
Take the Kahlua. Use the jigger, and measure out 1 oz of Kahlua. Toss that into the shaker.
Grab the lid to the shaker and cover the shaker with it. Shake well for around 15 seconds or until the shaker becomes cold to the touch.
Grab the Hawthorne strainer. Remove the shaker lid and place the strainer over top of the shaker. Strain the drink from the shaker into the margarita glass.
- cocktail shaker
- Hawthorne strainer
- Margarita glass
- 2 oz Tequila
- 2 oz Cold Brew
- 1 oz Kahlua
- 1 oz Triple Sec
- Take the ice and fill both the cocktail shaker and margarita glass with it.
- Take the tequila and measure out 2 oz with a jigger. Then pour the tequila into the shaker.
- Take the cold brew and measure out 2 oz with a jigger. Then pour the cold brew into the shaker.
- Take the kahlua and measure out 1 oz with a jigger. Then pour the kahlua into the shaker.
- Take the triple sec and measure out 1 oz with a jigger. Then pour the triple sec into the shaker.
- Take the shaker lid and place it on top of the shaker.
- Shake it up well for around 15 – 20 seconds or until the shaker is cold to touch.
- Take the strainer and replace the shaker lid with it.
- Pour the drink from the cocktail shaker into the glass.
Leave a Reply