Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
This pretty pink watermelon margarita is perfect for sipping during the summer or on anniversaries or date nights. With its sweet and sour watermelon and citrus flavors you’re sure to enjoy.
What is a Watermelon Margarita?
A watermelon margarita is a combination of tequila, lime juice, simple syrup, triple sec and watermelon pucker. This pretty and light pink margarita is tastes like a sweet watermelon candy with a twist of lime.
This drink is a fruity flavor twist on a classic margarita. There are a lot of different fruit variations you can do for a margarita such as a passion fruit margarita, a banana margarita, a strawberry margarita or a blueberry margarita.
The citrus flavor in this drink comes from both the lime juice and the triple sec. Triple sec is an orange flavored liqueur.
You can either make your own simple syrup or buy it from the store. If you want to make it it’s very easy you just need sugar and water.
For the tequila you can use any type you like, but silver tequila is the most typical. We like to use patron or 1800.
Watermelon pucker is where this drink gets its pretty pink color. It is a sweet and sour watermelon flavored liqueur.
When to Make This Drink:
Shake this drink up for your next occasion like:
- Valentine’s Day
- spring or summer celebrations
- afternoon sipping
- date night
Try out the following ideas if you want to substitute some ingredients, or perhaps change the flavor up just a little:
- Make it frozen. Add a half a cup of ice or so and blend all your ingredients together in the blender.
- Substitute the triple sec. Use Grand Marnier or Cointreau both of which are good orange liqueurs to use in place of triple sec.
- Use watermelon simple syrup. You can either use this in addition to the watermelon pucker or in place of.
- Muddle watermelon. Muddle watermelon with a simple syrup before adding the rest of your ingredients to the cocktail shaker. Again this can replace the watermelon pucker or be an addition to.
- Add a little spice. Add some jalapeno simple syrup or a few slices of jalapenos or muddle jalapenos to add a little spice to this drink.
- Add a rim. You can either add a salt room or a spicy ram with a little bit of seasoning.
How to make this drink:
You should be able to have this one ready in under 5 minutes. Simply toss all the ingredients in your shaker and get to shaking.
- 1.5 oz Tequila
- 1 oz Watermelon pucker
- .5 oz Triple sec
- 1 oz Lime juice
- .5 oz Simple syrup
Gather everything together for this margarita including margarita glass, simple syrup, triple sec, watermelon pucker, cocktail shaker, hawthorne strainer, lime juice, tequila, jigger, ice.
Fill the margarita glass to the top with ice as well as the cocktail shaker.
Using the jigger, measure 1.5 oz of tequila. Then dump the tequila into the cocktail shaker.
Using the jigger, measure one ounce of lime juice. Then dump the lime juice into the cocktail shaker.
Using a jigger, measure 1 oz of watermelon pucker. Then, dump the watermelon pucker into the cocktail shaker.
Using the jigger, measure 1 oz of triple sec. Then, pour the triple sec into the cocktail shaker.
using the jigger, measure 5 oz of simple syrup. Then, dump the simple syrup into the cocktail shaker.
Cover the shaker with its lid and shake everything together for around 20 to 30 seconds. You’ll know it’s ready when the shaker becomes cold.
Pop the shaker lid off and replace it with a Hawthorne strainer. Then, strain the watermelon martini from the shaker into the glass.
- cocktail shaker
- Hawthorne strainer
- Margarita glass
- 1.5 oz Tequila
- 1 oz Watermelon Pucker
- .5 oz Triple Sec
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- .5 oz Simple Syrup
- Use the ice to fill up both the margarita glass as well as the cocktail shaker.
- Use the jigger to measure 1.5 oz of tequila. Pour that into the shaker.
- Use the jigger to measure 1 oz of watermelon pucker. Pour that into the shaker.
- Use the jigger to measure .5 oz of triple sec. Pour that into the shaker.
- Use the jigger to measure 1 oz of lime juice. Pour that into the shaker.
- Use the jigger to measure .5 oz of simple syrup. Pour that into the shaker.
- Pop on the shaker lid and shake for about 15 – 20 seconds. The shaker will get cold.
- Pop off the lid and pop on the strainer.
- Strain the drink from the shaker into the margarita glass.