Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you love coffee and cocktails you must try this frangelico coffee. It’s an easy three ingredient cocktail that is sweet, delicious and has a low alcohol content.
What is a Frangelico Coffee?
A frangelico coffee is a combination of hot, freshly brewed coffee with frangelico and Irish cream. This warm cup tastes like coffee with an added sweet hazelnut creamer.
Frangelico is a light and sweet liqueur that originated in Italy. It is made from hazelnuts, coffee, vanilla and cocoa (source) It has a very sweet and nutty flavor.
Irish cream is made from Irish whiskey, cream and sugar. The resulting liqueur is creamy and sweet with hints of both vanilla and chocolate flavors.
You can use any type of coffee in this cocktail. We recommend not using any flavored coffee as the liqueurs added in will flavor the coffee on their own.
Additionally, you can brew your coffee in any way that is your favorite. Since the coffee is a highlight of the drink we do recommend using a good quality, nice tasting bean.
When to Make This Drink:
Since this drink is served warm, It is well suited to chilly occasions such as:
- winter holidays
- drinks before bed
- mid-morning sipping
- cocktail hour
Although this one is super delicious as is, here are a few ideas if you want to change things up a little:
- Add whipped cream. Make this extra decadent and turn it into an after-dinner dessert drink by adding a large dollop of whipped cream on top.
- Make it iced. If you prefer a cool drink, use a cold brew and or add ice cubes to your drink to make this an iced coffee.
- Add heavy cream. If you’d like this one to be even creamier, add half an ounce to an ounce of heavy cream.
- Add a little coffee liqueur. If you want to double down on the coffee flavor and add a little sweetness, try a coffee liqueur such as Kahlua or Tia Maria.
How to make this drink:
This drink is super easy to make, you only need three ingredients and a few minutes to make this one. Though you do have to wait for your coffee to brew, it’s still so easy simply toss all your ingredients together into a mug.
- 2 oz Frangelico
- 1 oz Bailey’s Irish cream
- 4 oz Coffee
Start this one out by making sure you have everything you need for the drink including freshly brewed hot coffee, frangelico, Irish cream, jigger, coffee mug or other type of glass and if desired a bar spoon.
If you haven’t already, brew a fresh pot or cup of coffee in whichever way you prefer.
Take your jigger and measure out 2 oz of frangelico. Add it to your mug.
Take your jigger and measure out 1 oz of Irish cream. Add it to your mug.
Take your jigger and measure out around 4 oz of coffee. Add it to your mug.
Note: you can simply pour the coffee directly into your mug topping it off. You may end up with a little more than 4 oz of coffee if you do it this way.
If you desire, you can take your bar spoon and give your drink a little stir. However, pouring the coffee in really mixes things up pretty well.
Additionally, if you want to add whipped cream garnish, now is the time to do so.
- bar spoon
- Coffee Mug
- 2 oz Frangelico
- 1 oz Irish Cream
- 4 oz Hot Coffee
- Whipped Cream optional garnish
- Use your favorite method to brew a pot of coffee.
- Take the frangelico and measure 2 oz with the jigger. Toss that into the mug.
- Take the irish cream and measure 1 oz with the jigger. Toss that into the mug.
- Take the hot coffee and either measure 4 oz with the jigger and toss into the mug. Or, pour the coffee straight into the mug to top it off.
- If you want to add an optional garnish, add a large dollop of whipped cream on top.