Cool, creamy and delicious this easy to make one ingredient Bailey’s over ice is perfect for sipping. If you’re looking for a super easy to make dessert flavored drink then this one fits the bill. It is a low alcohol content drink that is perfect for sipping after dinner.
🥃 What is a Baileys Over Ice?
Bailey’s over ice is simply a shot, or 2 oz, of Bailey’s Irish Cream poured into a rocks glass that is filled with ice. This simple and easy to make one ingredient cocktail is full of smooth, sweet and creamy flavors.
Bailey’s itself is a sweet and creamy liqueur. It’s made from Irish whiskey, cream, sweetener and other flavors. In addition to the predominant creaminess and sweetness, this liqueur has flavors of both chocolate and vanilla (source).
Anytime you see over ice or on the rocks when talking about drinks, it’s simply means that you serve the drink with ice. This can mean that it is a complex mixed drink or just a single liquor or liqueur.
Typically, there are two purposes for serving a drink over ice. First, of course is to get it chilled. This is particularly important with Bailey’s as it is much more enjoyable to sip this creamy liqueur cold.
The second purpose for serving a drink over ice is typically to help dilute the liquor a little. However, in the case of Bailey’s, it’s already a smooth easy to drink liqueur that does not have a strong bite of alcohol. So, given this fact, you want to make sure that you do sip your drink fast enough that the ice doesn’t water it down too much.
Here are just a couple reasons why you’ll really enjoy this cocktail:
- Easy to make. There’s not much easier than measuring one shot of one ingredient, adding it to a glass and getting to sipping.
- Delicious dessert. This creamy liqueur is a perfect dessert drink with its creaminess, sweetness and chocolate and vanilla flavors.
- Serve it anytime. Since this one is super simple, it’s perfect for serving up most any time.
⭐ When to Make This Drink
If you’re looking for some suggestions on when to serve this up, check these out:
- Dessert drinks
So, obviously, there’s not much you can do to change up a drink with only one ingredient here are a few ideas to create some variation:
- Use a different Baileys. Although typically you’d use original Bailey Irish cream in this drink, there are flavored Bailey’s variations. Try out some of these flavor versions:
- Almanade – this is a dairy-free version.
- Vanilla mint shake
- Salted caramel
- Apple pie
- Chocolate cherry
- Less sugar
- Espresso cream
- Strawberries and cream
- Use craft ice. Use large square or circular craft ice cubes in this drink. This allows the Baileys to get chilled quickly, but will prevent it from melting too much and watering your drink down.
- Add a little more. Typically, you’d only use 2 oz and a drink like this, but since Bailey’s is only around 17% alcohol by volume you could certainly use up to three or four ounces if you wanted a larger drink.
- 2 oz Baileys
Gather together everything you need to make this cocktail including rocks glass, ice, jigger and Baileys.
Using the ice, place it in the glass to fill the glass to the top.
Pick up the Baileys Irish Cream and pour 2 oz of it into the jigger.
Pick your jigger up and pour the Irish Cream into the rocks glass.
Bailey’s Over Ice
- Rocks glass
- 2 oz Bailey's Irish Cream
- Grab the rocks glass and fill it to the top with ice.
- Grab the Bailey's.
- Use the jigger to measure 2 oz of Bailey's and pour it into the glass.
- Give the glass a swirl and enjoy!
- Change this drink up a little by using flavored baileys like Salted Caramel or Strawberry.