Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Decadent and delightful is the name of the game with this bushwacker cocktail. This frozen drink is creamy, sweet and packed full of chocolate, coffee and a tropical flavors. If you’re looking for an indulgent and irresistible treat then this cocktail is a must try.
🍹 What is a Bushwacker Cocktail?
A bushwacker cocktail is a frozen drink that combines ice, cream of coconut, dark rum, Kahlua, milk and dark creme de cow all into one delicious decadent drink. This frozen treat is sweet and creamy with flavors of cocoa, coffee and coconut and a bite of heavy spice from the dark rum.
This is a classic Frozen cocktail that’s been around since the mid 1970s. It is sort of like a combination of a pina colada and a mudslide. It’s thought to have been invented on the island of St Thomas. Another cocktail that is only part pina colada is this Miami Vice Cocktail.
There’s so many reasons to love this recipe, here are just a few that might make you want to try it out:
- Decadent dessert. With the decadence, sweetness and chocolate in this frozen drink it is perfect to serve as dessert. It’s the perfect balance of indulgent sweetness and creaminess.
- Easy to customize. Given that this drink is not an IBA standardized drink, it’s easy to mix it up and change the flavors to make it exactly how you love it.
- Cool your day down. This frozen drink is perfect when you’re looking for something to cool a warm summer day down. Serve it up at the pool, the beach or any other time you want something to dial down the heat.
⭐ When to Make This Drink
This indulgent dessert concoction is perfect to serve at many different occasions, including these:
- Dessert drinks
- Birthday parties
- Holiday celebrations
One of the fun things about this drink is that it is easy to customize and have flavor modifications for. Here are a few ideas to try:
- Use vanilla ice cream. Substitute the ice for ice cream if you want an extra sweet and creamy drink.
- Add more garnishes. You can make this even more decadent by adding whipped cream on top, mini chocolate chips, a maraschino cherry or even some cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Use dairy-free milk. If you don’t want to use regular milk, you can use dairy-free milk like oat milk or almond milk.
- Add additional liqueurs. Oftentimes recipes for this drink will include a small amount of Bailey’s Irish cream and or amaretto. You’d want to add about .5 to 1 oz of each.
- Use coconut rum. Substitute the dark rum for either all or a portion of coconut rum to add a lighter coconut flavor.
- Use half and half. Substitute the milk for half and half for a slightly thicker and creamier flavor.
- 1 oz Dark rum
- 1 oz Kahlua – Or you can use any other coffee flavored liqueur.
- 1 oz Dark creme de cacao (You can also use white)
- 2 oz Milk
- 2 oz Cream of coconut – Make sure you’re using cream of coconut which is a coconut flavored sweetened syrup and not coconut cream which is more like a milk.
- 1 cup Ice
Get started by making sure you have everything you need for this version drink. This should include hurricane glass, ice, measuring cup, jigger, Kahlua, dark rum, blender, milk and cream of coconut.
Take one cup of ice and add it to the blender.
Measure 2 oz of milk with a jigger and pour it into the blender.
Measure 2 oz of cream of coconut and pour it into the blender.
Measure 1 oz creme de cacao and pour it into the blender.
Measure 1 oz of Kahlua and pour it into the blender.
Measure 1 ounce of dark rum and pour it into blender.
Now, you want to get everything blended together. Blender settings and times will vary.
For our blender, we like to use a smoothie setting for a few minutes. You want everything to be smooth and well combined, but not liquefied.
Get your glass ready by taking the chocolate syrup and drizzling it inside. If you tip the glass to the side and drizzle around the edges that works well.
Open the top of your blender and pour your drink into your hurricane glass.
- Hurricane glass
- Grab the 1 cup of ice and toss it into the blender.
- Measure 1 oz of dark rum with the jigger and add it to the blender.
- Measure 1 oz of Kahlua with the jigger and add it to the blender.
- Measure 1 oz of dark creme de cacao with the jigger and add it to the blender.
- Measure 2 oz of milk with the jigger and add it to the blender.
- Measure 2 oz of creme de coconut with the jigger and add it to the blender.
- Turn the blender on – a minute or so; or using a smoothie setting works well. You want the ice fully chopped up and mixed in.
- Turn the blender off and pour the drink into the hurricane glass.