Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you love creamy and delicious cocktails then you must give this gorilla milk drink a try. This cocktail is a sweet, creamy sipper that you can easily toss together in just a few minutes.
What is a Gorilla Milk Drink?
A gorilla milk drink is a combination of half and half, Kahlua, light rum, Bailey’s and creme de banana or banana liqueur. The resulting cocktail is very much like a coffee infused banana laffy Taffy. It is creamy, sweet and has a strong banana flavor.
Light rum is a clear liquor that is made by distilling sugarcane. Light rum, in particular, is a type of rum that is typically unaged. It has a lighter flavor than dark or aged rum. It tends to have a lightly sweet and slightly spicy flavor.
Bailey’s is a brand of Irish cream. You can actually use any type of Irish cream to make this drink, Bailey’s is just one of the most popular period Irish cream is a combination of sugar, cream and Irish whiskey. Irish cream is a liqueur that has a relatively low alcohol by volume usually clocking it around 17%.
Irish cream has a creamy and sweet taste. It is a very smooth liqueur. It has a strong taste of vanilla with hints of chocolate in it as well.
Kahlua is a coffee flavored liqueur that was originally made in Mexico. It is a combination of rum, arabica coffee beans and sugar. It of course has a strong coffee flavor mixed with strong sweetness and hints of nutty flavors.
Creme de banana is a banana liqueur. Like most fruit flavored liqueurs it starts with a neutral base spirit. Then, sugar and banana flavorings are added into it. The resulting liqueur is yellow, creamy and has a very strong sweet banana flavor.
When to Make This Drink:
With the sweet creamy decadence of this drink, it pairs well for several occasions including:
- after dinner drinks
- drinks with dessert
- casual get togethers
If you’re looking for a few ways to change this drink up try one of these out:
- Substitute the Baileys. Though we have used Baileys in the recipe below, as mentioned, there are various other brands of Irish cream and you could use any of those in substitute for the Baileys.
- Substitute the Kahlua. Kahlua is not the only coffee flavored liqueur. You can use any other coffee flavored liqueur in this drink such as Tia Maria.
- Substitute the half and half. Half and half works really well in this drink, however, you could use milk or heavy cream. Additionally, you could use a dairy-free milk like oat milk. If you substitute the half and half for one of these it can change the creamy consistency just a little.
How to make this drink:
This drink is relatively easy to make, there is no elaborate glass remain or garnishes necessary. It does have a handful of ingredients, so it will take around 5 minutes to shake this one up.
- 1 oz Half and half
- 1 oz Light rum
- .5 oz Kahlua
- .5 oz Baileys
- .5 oz Creme de banana
As you get started on this drink make sure you have everything you need to make it including half and half, creme de banana, Kahlua, Irish cream, light rum, a jigger, cocktail shaker, Hawthorne strainer, ice and a rocks glass.
Grab some ice and use it to fill your cocktail shaker almost to the top. Also use ice to fill your rocks glass almost to the top.
Pick up your jigger as well as your half and half. Use your jigger and measure 1 oz of half and half then toss that into the cocktail shaker.
Pick up your jigger as well as your light rum. Use your jigger and measure one ounce of light rum, then toss that into the cocktail shaker.
Pick up your jigger as well as your Kahlua. Use your jigger and measure 0.5 oz of Kahlua, then toss that into the cocktail shaker.
Pick up your jigger as well as your creme de banana. Use your jigger and measure.5 oz of creme de banana. Toss that into the cocktail shaker.
Pick up your jigger as well as your Irish cream. Use the jigger to measure 5 oz of Irish cream. Toss that into the cocktail shaker.
Place the top on your cocktail shaker. Then, shake it well for around 15 seconds. It should be cold to the touch on the outside when finished.
Remove the top from your cocktail shaker and strain the drink from your shaker into your rocks glass.
Gorilla Milk Drink
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- Rocks glass
- 1 oz Half and half
- 1 oz Light Rum
- .5 oz Kahlua
- .5 oz Irish Cream
- .5 oz Creme de Banana
- Get all of the ingredients and equipment gathered up.
- Fill your shaker and rocks glass both up with ice. The ice should be almost to the top of each.
- Pick up your Half and Half. Use the jigger to measure 1 oz of half and half. Pour it into the shaker.
- Pick up your Light Rum. Use the jigger to measure 1 oz of light rum. Pour it into the shaker.
- Pick up your Kahlua Use the jigger to measure .5 oz of kahlua. Pour it into the shaker.
- Pick up your Baileys/Irish Cream. Use the jigger to measure .5 oz of Irish Cream. Pour it into the shaker.
- Pick up your Creme de Banana Use the jigger to measure .5 oz of Creme de Banana. Pour it into the shaker.
- Pick the shaker top up and put it onto the shaker.
- Shake it up until the outside of the shaker is cold to the touch. Usually around 15 – 20 seconds.
- Pick up the strainer and replace the top with it.
- Pour the drink into the rocks glass. Enjoy!