Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
The Irish wake drink is a bright green fun and fruity cocktail. If you’re looking for something to serve that your next St Patrick’s Day party or other fun celebration, give this one a try.
What is an Irish Wake Drink?
And Irish wake drink is a combination of orange juice, 151 rum, dark rum and blue curaçao. The resulting cocktail is a bright green drink that tastes like boozy orange juice with a strong hit of the complex flavored rum on the back end.
The best orange juice is fresh and pulp free. Orange juice with pulp can learn to a grainy texture in the cocktail. You can either buy the orange juice from a store or make your own orange juice.
151 rum is typically a gold or combination of aged drums that is overproofed. This simply means that it has a much higher alcohol concentrate at 151 proof which equates to around 75.5% alcohol by volume. This run tends to have a strong alcoholic bite and has the typical flavors of gold or aged rum which is tropical and spicy.
Dark rum is made by aging rum in a wooden barrel. This gives it its darker color. Sometimes the losses or other colorings are also added. Dark rum tends to have a rich and complex flavor full of smoky flavors and spices.
Blue curaçao is a liqueur that is bright blue. It is an orange flavored liqueur. It is a lower alcohol content liqueur at around 24% alcohol by volume.
Occasions for this drink
With it’s fun color and pretty flavor, this cocktail is great to serve for many different occasions such as:
- St Patrick’s Day
- casual get togethers
- sports parties
- college parties
With only a few ingredients, there aren’t many ways to vary this drink. But, here are a few things you can try:
- Use different 151 rum. The flavor and makeup of 151 rum can vary based on the brand. So, if you want a slightly different flavor profile you can try a different brand.
- home squeezed orange juice. The fresher the orange juice the sweeter and brighter the flavor of the drink will be. Try making your own orange juice instead of buying it in the store.
- change up the glassware. For this one, we used a mason jar. However, you could use any type of jar or other glassware you desire.
How to make this drink:
With only four simple ingredients, this cocktail is easy to mix up. All you need to do is toss it together and give it a stir.
- 8 oz Orange Juice
- 1 oz dark rum
- 1 oz 151 rum
- 1 oz blue curacao
Start out by gathering everything you need for your drink including orange juice, blue curaçao, dark rum, 151 rum, mason jar, bar spoon and ice.
Grab your ice and fill your mason jar up with it.
Use your jigger and measure out 1 oz of 151 rum. Pour your 151 rum into mason jar with the ice.
Use your jigger and measure out 1 oz of dark rum. Pour your dark rum into your mason jar with the ice and 151.
Use your jigger and measure out 1 oz of blue curacao. Pour your blue curaçao into your mason jar with the ice, dark rum and 151.
Use your jigger and measure out 8 oz of orange juice. Dump your orange juice into your mason jar with your other ingredients.
Note: You can choose to skip measuring your orange juice. If you do so, you can simply top your glass off with orange juice.
Next, you need to get everything stirrer together. To do this, take your bar spoon and place it in your jar. Then give everything a few good stirs.
As an optional garnish, add a few maraschino cherries to the drink and enjoy.
Irish Wake Drink
- bar spoon
- Mason jar
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- 8 oz Orange Juice
- 1 oz Dark Rum
- 1 oz 151 Rum
- 1 oz Blue Curacao
- maraschino cherries optional garnish
- Get together all the ingredients and equipment needed to make the drink.
- Fill the mason jar with ice.
- Using the jigger, measure 1 oz of Dark Rum. Pour the dark rum into the mason jar. 8 oz Orange Juice 1 oz dark rum1 oz 151 rum1 oz blue curacaoIc
- Using the jigger, measure 1 oz of 151 Rum. Pour the 151 rum into the mason jar.
- Using the jigger, measure 1 oz o Blue Curacao. Pour the blue curacao into the mason jar.
- Using the jigger, measure 8 oz of orange juice. Pour the orange juice into the mason jar.note: alternatively, you can simply top the glass off with orange juice instead of measuring it out.
- Two ways to stir the drink up:1) carefully dump it from the glass to a cocktail shaker and back into the glass.2) Use a bar spoon to stir it well.
- as an optional garnish, add a few maraschino cherries to the glass.
- Fill the shaker with ice as well as the glass.
- Measure all the ingredients straight into the shaker.
- Add the top to the shaker and shake well for 15 – 30 seconds.
- Remove the top and place the strainer on the shaker.
- Pour the drink from the shaker into the glass.