Brew up a spellbinding and vibrantly purple drunk witch drink. This bewitching beverage tastes like a sweet candy in sipping form. So, gather around your cauldrons and prepare to start sipping on this perfect Halloween cocktail.
🥃 What is a Drunk Witch Drink?
A trunk which drink is a vibrant purple cocktail that is a combination of vodka, blue curacao, sprite and grenadine stirred together and served with a green sugar rim. The resulting cocktail is actually very sweet and has an almost cherry and citrus candy-like flavor.
The purple color in this drink is made possible by combining the grenadine and blue Curacao. Blue curaçao as you can probably guess is a vibrant blue color. It’s an orange flavored liqueur. The grenadine is a bright red sweet syrup that is made with pomegranates, but commonly tastes like cherries.
The alcohol content in this drink comes mostly from the vodka. It is not a super strong drink, but does have almost a full shot of vodka in it. And a little alcohol from the Blue curaçao.
⭐ When to Make This Drink
This is a perfect, spooky themed drink that you can serve up at occasions such as:
- Halloween parties
- Movie nights
- Birthday celebrations
- Fall festivities
Although you do want to be careful changing the ingredients too much or you’ll change the purple color, here are a few ways you can change the ingredients and flavor:
- Use a different colored rim. Change up the color combinations by using a different colored sugar on the rim. This works great if you have a party theme or your serving this during a game day and want to match your team’s colors.
- Make it non-alcoholic. You can use non-alcoholic blue curacao and skip the vodka and add extra Sprite to make this a virgin or mocktail.
- Use a flavored vodka. Change the flavors up in the drink without changing the color by using a flavored vodka. A few good choices include cherry vodka, lime vodka, orange vodka and lemon vodka.
- Make it less sweet. Substitute the Sprite for regular seltzer or club soda and order to have less sugar in the drink. Or, you can use something like a Sprite zero.
- Use a different liquor. As long as you’re using a clear liquor like silver tequila or white rum you can substitute the vodka for any liquor you prefer.
- 1.5 oz Blue curacao
- 1.5 oz Vodka
- 1.5 oz Grenadine
- Top with sprite
- (optional) rim in a colored sugar
Gather together everything you need including grenadine, vodka, blue curse out, Sprite, ice, jigger, rocks glass.
If you want to rim your glass, now is the time to do so. Spread a thin layer of green sanding sugar on a One side of the saucer and a thin layer of simple syrup on the other.
Then, roll the rim of the glass in a little simple syrup. Finally, roll the rim in the sanding sugar so that it is coated.
Next, carefully toss some ice into the glass so that it’s filled to the top.
Measure 1.5 oz of blue curaçao and add it to the glass.
Measure out 1.5 oz of vodka and add it to the glass.
Measure out 1.5 oz of grenadine and add it to the glass.
Grab your Sprite and pour it directly into the glass so that it is topped off.
To mix things together you can either use a bar spoon if you’ve already rimmed your glass and carefully stir everything together.
Or, if you haven’t rimmed your glass yet, you can toss the drink into the shaker. Rim your glass and then carefully pour it from the shaker back into the glass.
Drunk Witch Drink
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- Rocks glass
- 1.5 oz 1.5 blue curacao, vodka, grenadine; top sprite and rim in a colored sugar
- 1.5 oz Vodka
- 1.5 oz Grenadine
- top with Sprite
- colored sugar any color works (optional garnish)
- Start out by rimming your glass if desired. 1) Run a lemon wedge or a piece of ice around the rim of the glass to wet it.2) Spread the colored sugar in a thin layer on a saucer.3) Place the glass rim down into the sugar and rock it back and forth until it is covered.
- Fill the glass and cocktail shaker up with ice.
- Use the jigger to measure and pour 1.5 oz of blue curacao into the shaker.
- Use the jigger to measure and pour 1.5 oz of vodka into the shaker.
- Use the jigger to measure and pour 1.5 oz of grenadine into the shaker.
- Cover the shaker up with the shaker lid.
- Shake well until the shaker gets cold on the outside. This usually will take about 15 or so seconds.
- Take the lid off and put the strainer on the shaker.
- Strain the drink from the shaker into the rocks glass.