Try out this nostalgic twist on an old classic that will throw you back to your childhood. This peanut butter and jelly old fashioned is a unique cocktail that combines the sweet peanut butter and jelly flavors with the sophistication of an old fashioned.
🥃 What is a Peanut Butter and Jelly Old Fashioned?
A peanut butter and jelly old fashioned is a combination of bitters, peanut butter whiskey, Chambord and grape pucker. This cocktail has a bright, sweet jelly flavor combined with a little bit of salty peanut.
This is a nice flavor variation on The classic old fashioned cocktail. There are other flavor variations such a Peanut Butter old Fashioned.
Here are a few reasons why your shirt will love this cocktail:
- Sweet nostalgia – The sweet jelly and salty peanut flavors combined together in this drink are sure to give you a throwback to eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as a child.
- So easy to make – If you’ve got 5 minutes, you’re sure to be able to whip this one together. You only need four easy and simple ingredients.
- Versatile for serving – this flavor combination makes it great for serving at more sophisticated celebrations as well as more informal get togethers. You can serve this one at a wide range of occasions.
⭐ When to Make This Drink
The sweet and versatile cocktail is well suited for serving at a variety of different times such as:
- Brunch drinks
- Cocktail hour
- Drinks with dinner
- Signature cocktails
Try out a few of these ingredients substitutions and flavor variations to change this cocktail up a little:
- Use one full ounce. Switch to using all Chambord or all grape pucker instead of half and half of each.
- Vary the jelly flavor. Substitute the Chambord and grape pucker for different fruit flavors like strawberry schnapps or raspberry schnapps.
- Use a different bitter flavor. We used angostura bitters which are typical in an old-fashioned. However, bitters come in several different flavors. Pick one to emphasize some of the other flavors in this drink.
- 4 Dashes bitters – these are a neutral liquor that have spices added to it to help bring out some of the flavors and the drink.
- 1.5 oz Peanut Butter whiskey – this is a sweet and salty peanut flavored whiskey liqueur. It has a lower alcohol percentage than regular whiskey. We like to use skatterbrain or skrewball.
- .5 oz Chambord – this purplish colored black raspberry liqueur is very sweet and syrupy. It originated in France and helps to add the jelly flavor to this cocktail.
- .5 oz Grape Pucker -this bright purple sweet and sour grape flavored liqueur helps to pack in the jelly flavor as well.
Gather up all your ingredients and equipment including cocktail shaker, Hawthorne strainer, jigger, rocks glass, ice, bitters, Chambord, great pucker and peanut butter whiskey.
Snatch up some ice and toss a couple handfuls into the cocktail shaker.
Snatch up the peanut butter whiskey. Measure 1.5 oz with the jigger and pour it into the glass.
Snatch up the grape pucker. Measure 0.5 oz with a jigger and pour it into the glass.
Snatch up the chamboard. Measure 0.5 oz with the jigger and pour it into the glass.
Snatch up the bitters and add a few dashes to the top of the drink.
Pick the glass up and give it a few swirls to thoroughly mix your ingredients. Then, if you want to add a garnish like an orange wedge or maraschino cherry now with the time to do so.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Old Fashioned
- Rocks glass
- 4 dashes Bitters
- 1.5 oz Peanut Butter whiskey
- .5 oz Chambord or Grape Pucker
- Grab the peanut butter whiskey. Measure 1.5 oz with the jigger and toss it into the rocks glass.
- Grab the chambord. Measure .5 oz with the jigger and toss it into the glass.
- Grab the bitters and add a few dashes directly to the glass.
- Drop one large ice cube in, if desired.
- Give a swirl or two to mix ingredients.
- Add a maraschino cherry into the glass as an optional garnish.