Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
This pineapple upside down cake martini is like drinking your dessert. This sweet, decadent martini tastes just like your favorite cake.
What is a Pineapple Upside Down Cake Martini?
A pineapple upside down cake martini is a combination of vodka, pineapple juice and grenadine. The resulting layered martini is a bright yellow color on the top with a sliver of red on the bottom. And, the best part about this drink, if it tastes just like pineapple upside down cake.
Vodka is a clear liquor that is made by fermenting grains and then distilling them. It is known for being a rather neutral flavored liquor. This means that when you add it to cocktails it gives them a little bit of a sharp alcohol bite, but does not alter the flavors of the other ingredients much.
Pineapple juice cocktails are popular for tropical, summer flavored drinks. When choosing a pineapple juice for this cocktail, it’s important to get it fresh. Additionally, make sure to get a 100% no sugar added juice so that you get a pure pineapple flavor.
Grenadine is a bright red very sweet fix syrup. It is made from pomegranates. However, many people describe the flavor as cherry-like.
When to Make This Drink:
This sweet, dessert like martini is the perfect fit for a wide variety of events including:
- holiday celebrations
- Drinks for dessert
- birthday parties
- New Year’s Eve
Even though this one only has three ingredients, there are a few ways you can change it up including:
- Use whipped cream vodka. We used regular vodka in this one just to really let the pineapple flavor stand out. However, whipped cream vodka will lend a sweet creamy vanilla flavor which can really drive in the cake part of this drink.
- Use cake vodka. This is a super well fit flavored vodka for the drink as it actually tastes sort of like yellow cake.
- Use vanilla vodka. Another vodka substitute in this drink can be vanilla vodka. With its sweet vanilla flavor it really lends to the cake like flavor in the martini.
- Garnish it up. If you want to capitalize on the pineapple and cherry flavors of this drink, add a cocktail pic with a maraschino cherry and a wedge of pineapple.
Some other cake flavored drinks are: cherry cheesecake shot, banana cream martini and pineapple upside down shot.
How to make this drink:
This is one of the easier martinis to make. You only need three really simple ingredients and a little shaking action.
- 1.5 oz Vanilla Vodka
- 1.5 oz Pineapple Juice
- .25 oz Grenadine
Start out by making sure you have everything you need for this cocktail including cocktail shaker, Hawthorne strainer, jigger, Martini glass, grenadine, ice, vodka and pineapple juice.
Place the Martini glass into the freezer to give it a little time to chill. Also, take some ice and fill your shaker almost to the top with it.
Pick up the vodka. Use your jigger and measure out 1.5 oz. Then, pour it into the shaker.
Pick up the pineapple juice. Use your jigger and measure out 1.5 oz. Then, pour it into the shaker.
Place the top onto your shaker. Then, shake it up for around 15 or 20 seconds. The outside of the shaker should become cold and icy when finished.
Remove the martini glass from the freezer. Then, remove the lid from the shaker and replace it with the Hawthorne strainer. Pour your martini from the shaker into the glass.
Take your grenadine. Use your jigger to measure 0.25 oz. Then, slowly pour directly into the glass. The grenadine should sink to the bottom.
Finally, if you’d like to add a garnish, now it’s time to do so. Cut a small wedge of pineapple. Then, take a cocktail pic and place a cherry and your pineapple wedge on it and place it in the edge of the glass.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Martini
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- Martini glass
- 1.5 oz vanilla vodka
- 1.5 oz pineapple juice
- .5 oz grenadine
- maraschino cherry and/or pineapple slice optional garnish
- Gather everything in the equipment and ingredients lists.
- Use your ice to fill the shaker almost to the top.
- Pick up the vanilla vodka. Use the jigger to measure 1.5 oz. Dump that into the shaker.
- Pick up the pineapple juice. Use the jigger to measure 1.5 oz. Dump that into the shaker.
- Put the shaker lid over the top of the shaker.
- Shake it well for about 15 seconds.
- Remove the shaker lid.
- Put the strainer over top of the shaker.
- Pour the shot into the glass.
- Pick up the grenadine. Use the jigger to measure .5 oz. Slowly pour that directly into the glass so that it sinks to the bottom.
- If you want to add a garnish, stick a few maraschino cherries on a cocktail pick and pop it into the glass. Or cut a slice of pineapple and place it on the rim of the glass.
Leave a Reply