Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Does rum and hot chocolate go well together? Yes, they absolutely do! This warm, velvety, rich cocktail is a luxuriously comforting drink with a little splash of rum.
🍫 What is a Rum Hot Chocolate?
Run and hot chocolate is it warm and delicious strength that is created by combining a shot of rum and a mug with hot chocolate. This delicious drink has a creamy, dark chocolate flavor followed by a smooth sweetness of rum.
This delicious, chocolatey drink is super easy to make since it’s just a simple combination of two ingredients. Much like these other spiked hot chocolates like: vodka and hot chocolate or fireball and hot chocolate. Toss the ingredients together, stir them up and they’re ready to go.
The thing that takes the longest to make this drink is making the hot chocolate. But, if use instant hot chocolate, even that doesn’t take too long.
Wondering why you should make this drink? Here are a few reasons you’ll love it:
- Rich and indulgent – this drink is the perfect pairing of rich hot chocolate and smooth, sweet rum. It’s a satisfying drink that’s perfect to warm up with during cold winter months.
- Easy to make -You should be able to whip this one up and around 5 minutes as long as you’re not making your hot chocolate from scratch.
- You can customize it – Use flavored hot chocolate or even use different varieties of rum to change up the flavors in this drink.
⭐ When to Make This Drink
If you’re looking for the perfect event to serve this one up at, try a few of these:
- winter holidays
- cold nights
- holiday brunch
- New Year’s Eve
Need to know some ingredient substitutions or some flavor variations? Take a look at these ideas:
- Add more garnishes. Make this one extra sweet and decadent by adding mini marshmallows, chocolate syrup, mini chocolate chips or a maraschino cherry on top.
- Cut out the dairy. Make this one dairy-free by using oatmeal hot chocolate or another dairy-free-based hot chocolate.
- Change up the rum. We used white rum for this so that the hot chocolate flavor would shine through, but you could use other rums such as a coconut rum or spice rum to get a different flavor.
- Use a flavored hot chocolate. Try out a Butterfinger hot chocolate or even Oreo hot chocolate if you want an even sweeter more decadent drink.
- 6 oz Hot Chocolate – this is the main base and flavor for this drink. You can use instant hot chocolate mix to make it fast. Or, you can make your own hot chocolate from scratch. We like to use instant dark hot chocolate for a rich flavor quickly.
- 2 oz Rum – The rum is what adds the alcohol content to this drink. We opted for a white rum from Bacardi so that it has just a lightly sweet and spicy flavor and lets the hot chocolate stand out.
- (optional) Whipped Cream
Collect everything you need including whipped cream, hot chocolate, rum, jigge, bar spoon and mug.
What’s up a mug of hot chocolate. You can use instant hot chocolate and follow the instructions on the box. Or, you can make your favorite hot chocolate from scratch
Measure out 2 oz of rum with the vodka. Then, toss it into the mug.
Measure out 6 oz of hot chocolate with a jigger or measuring cup. Then, toss it into the mug.
If you’d like to, you can simply pour the hot chocolate directly into the mug and skip the measuring all together. Just top the mug off.
If you want, take the bar spoon and mix this drink up. Although, it usually mixes pretty well when you add the hot chocolate.
Then, if desired, add a large dollop pf whipped cream to the top.
Rum Hot Chocolate
- bar spoon
- 6 oz Hot Chocolate
- 2 oz Rum
- Whipped Cream Optional garnish
- Whip up some hot chocolate. You can use instant or homemade.
- Pour 6 – 8 oz of the hot chocolate into a mug.
- Measure out 2 oz of rum with the jigger. Add the rum into the mug.
- Give the drink a few stirs with a bar spoon.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.