Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
A rum limeade cocktail is a light green, refreshing and delicious drink. This one is perfect for hot spring or summer days when you just want to relax and cool off.
What is a Rum Limeaid?
A rum limeade is a refreshing and easy to make two ingredient highball. This simple cocktail has a strong tart lime flavor with a kick from the bite of the rum.
Rum is made by distilling sugar cane. It has a light flavor that is slightly sweet and slightly spicy. There are several different rum variations including white rum, dark rum, coconut rum and spiced rum.
Though you can use any variation for this cocktail, light rum is the most common and what we will use in the recipe below. Light rum is great to use because it has the lightest flavor and really allows the other ingredients to shine through.
Limeade is essentially like lemonade only made with limes. It is a combination of lime juice and sugar. It has quite a tart lime flavor with a little boost of sweetness.
When to Make This Drink:
This drink is well suited for any hot occasion where you want a refreshing sipper such as:
- pool parties
- beach days
If you’re interested and changing this drink up a little, here are a few ways to try:
- Make it sparkling. How to splash or two of club soda if you want to add a little light bubble or fizz to this drink.
- Use concentrate. Limeade concentrate is frozen and typically you add water to turn it into a drink. Skip adding the water and just add rum.
- Use flavored limeade. Limeade actually also comes in flavors such as cherry limeade or strawberry. If you want an extra fruit kick to your drink try a flavored limeade.
- Use a different rum. If you want to add a little more flavor in this one, try out a different rum such as spiced rum or coconut rum.
How to make this drink:
Since you only need to super simple and easy ingredients for this drink, you should be able to whip it up in 2 minutes or less. Simply toss your ingredients in a glass and give them a good stir.
- 2 oz Rum
- 4 oz Limeaid
Start out by making sure you have everything you need for this drink including highball glass, jigger, limeade, rum, ice, bar spoon or Hawthorne strainer and shaker.
Take your glass and fill it almost completely to the top with ice.
Note: We prefer to build this drink directly in the glass. However, you can also build it in the shaker if you prefer.
To build it in the shaker, take some ice and fill the shaker with it as well. Then, measure your ingredients into the shaker. Shake It up and strain it into your glass.
Grab your rum and your jigger. Using your jigger, measure 2 oz of rum and dump it into the glass.
Grab your limeade and your jigger. Using your jigger, measure 4 oz of limeade and dump it into the glass.
Note: if you’d prefer, you can simply top the glass off with limeade instead of measuring it with the jigger. Typically, you will end up with a little over 4 oz doing it this way.
Finally, make sure everything is mixed well. You have two options for this, with a bar spoon or with a shaker.
With a bar spoon: stick the spoon into the glass and give a few good stirs.
With a shaker: carefully dump all of the contents of the glass into the shaker. Then, carefully dump everything from the shaker back into the glass.
- bar spoon
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- highball glass
- 2 oz White Rum
- 4 oz Limeade
- Toss ice into the glass so that it fills it about to the top.
- Grab the rum. Use the jigger to measure 2 oz of rum. Toss that into the glass.
- Grab the limeade. Use the jigger to measure 4 oz of limeade. Toss that into the glass.note: you can also just pour the limeade directly into the glass instead of using the jigger. Just top the glass off with it.
- To mix it all together, you have two options:1) Gently toss all ingredients into the shaker and then back into the glass.2) Use the bar spoon and stir well.
- also add ice to the shaker.
- Measure all ingredients into the shaker.
- Put the top on the shaker.
- Shake for 15 – 20 seconds.
- Put the strainer over the shaker and pour into the glass.