Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
This tequila limeade cocktail is sort of like an easy two ingredient margarita. You could have this one whipped up in just a few minutes and it is a super refreshing slightly tart, yet sweet sipper.
What is a Tequila Limeade?
Tequila limeade is an easy to make two ingredient highball the tastes pretty much like a margarita. This cocktail has a strong lime flavor with a punch of tartness on the back end.
Tequila is known for being slightly sweet, but having a rather light flavor. All tequila is made from the Blue agave plant. But, there are different kinds of tequila depending on how long and how it’s aged.
The most common and best tequila to use in this cocktail is a silver tequila. This tequila tends to have the lightest flavor.
When you pick a limeade you can either buy it at the store or make it on your own. Limeade itself is a combination of lime juice and sweetener.
When to Make This Drink:
With how easy this one is to make, you can throw it together for a multitude of different occasions including:
- summertime sipping on the porch
- Beach Days
- spring celebrations
Since there are only two ingredients in this one, it doesn’t have a lot of possible variation. However, here are a few ways you can try to change it up:
- Use a concentrate. Limeade concentrate is frozen. Typically, you add water to it however, you can add tequila instead of water.
- Use a different tequila. Even though we used silver tequila and the recipe below, you can use other types of tequila such as gold tequila in this recipe.
- Use cherry limeade. If you want to add a little flavor spin, try out cherry limeade instead of regular limeade for this cocktail.
- Add a salt rim. If you really want to amp up the margarita flavor in this one, add a salt rim to your glass.
How to make this drink:
All it takes to get this drink ready is to measure your two ingredients and mix them up. You should be able to have this drink prepared in two minutes or less.
- 2 oz Tequila
- 4 oz Limeade
Start out by gathering up everything needed for this drink including tequila, limeade, ice, jigger, highball glass, bar spoon or cocktail shaker and hawthorn strainer.
Pro tip: If you plan to add a salt rim, now is the time to do so. Lay a thin layer of salt on a saucer. Run an ice cube or lime wedge around the rim of the glass. Then, place the glass rim down into the salt and rock it back and forth until it is coated.
Pick up your highball glass and add some ice to it. The glass should be filled almost to the top with ice.
Note: We will be building this drink directly in the glass for the instructions below. However, this drink can also be built directly in the shaker.
To build it in the shaker, fill the shaker with ice as well as the glass. Pour your ingredients directly in the shaker. Then, shake everything up and strain the drink into your glass.
Use your jigger and measure out 2 oz of tequila. Dump that tequila into the glass.
Use your jigger and measure out 4 oz of limeade. Dump that limeade into the glass.
Note: If you would like to just add the limeade directly to the glass instead of measuring, you can do that. Just make sure that you are pretty much topping the glass off with limeade.
Now it’s time to get everything mixed together. You can do this in a shaker or with a bar spoon.
In a shaker: slowly and carefully toss the contents of the glass into the cocktail shaker. Then, carefully toss them back into the glass.
With a bar spoon: insert the spoon into your glass. Then, stir everything well.
- bar spoon
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- highball glass
- 2 oz Tequila
- 4 oz Limeade
- Gather up all the necessary ingredients and equipment for this drink.
- Pick up some ice and toss it in the glass. Glass should be about filled with ice.
- Pick up the tequila and measure 2 oz with the jigger. Toss the tequila into the glass.
- Pick up the limeade and measure 4 oz with the jigger. Toss the limeade into the glass.note: you can also just top the glass off with limeade instead of measuring it with the jigger if desired.
- To get everything mixed up:1) Use the shaker and toss the contents of the glass into the shaker. Then, toss it all back into the glass.2) Use the bar spoon by putting it into the glass and stirring well.
- Fill up the shaker with ice as well.
- Toss all ingredients straight into the shaker.
- Put the shaker top on the shaker.
- Shake it up for about 15 seconds.
- Remove the shaker top.
- Put the hawthorne strainer on the shaker.
- Pour the drink into the glass.