Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
This easy to make whiskey limeade is a refreshing sipper perfect for hot summer days. This cocktail is so easy to whip up it’s perfect for an impromptu get together or a large party.
What is a Whiskey Limeaid?
A whiskey limeade is a light and refreshing two ingredient highball cocktail. This drink has a smooth sweet lime flavor with a little hint of caramel.
Whiskey is a dark gold colored liquor that is made from fermenting a mash of grains such as rye or barley and then distilling them. There are a variety of different whiskeys including bourbon, Tennessee whiskey and Irish whiskey just to name a few.
The difference is are the type of grain used and how and how long the whiskey is aged. Flavor will vary a little dependent on the type of whiskey. Though any whiskey works for this drink, we prefer an Irish whiskey which is a very smooth liquor.
Limeade is basically lemonade only made with limes. It is a combination of lime juice and sweetener. It has a very tart lime flavor with a little hint of sweetness.
When to Make This Drink:
This refreshing cocktail is well suited for hot days and relaxing get togethers such as:
- beach days
- 4th of July parties
- poolside gatherings
- spring and summer celebrations
If you want to mix the flavor of this one up a little, here are a few ideas to try:
- Make it sparkling. Add a little dash of club soda or even a light tasting soda such as Sprite or ginger ale. This will provide a little fizz to your drink.
- Use a flavored limeade. Limeade can also come in fruit flavors such as strawberry or cherry flavored limeade. If you want a little extra sweet fruit in this drink try one of these flavored limeades.
- Use a different whiskey. Though we prefer an Irish whiskey and that is what we use in the recipe below, you can try out different whiskeys such as bourbon or even a flavored crown Royal.
- Use a concentrate. Limeade comes as frozen concentrate as well. Use this and just add the whiskey to turn it into a drink.
How to make this drink:
This easy to make two ingredient cocktail is super easy to make. Simply toss your ingredients into a glass and stir them up.
- 2 oz Whiskey
- 4 oz Limeaid
As you’re getting ready to make your drink, make sure you have everything you need including highball glass, jigger, bar spoon or Hawthorne strainer and shaker, whiskey, limeade and ice.
Pick up your glass and fill it with ice. The ice should reach almost the top of the glass.
Note: We prefer to build this drink directly in the glass. However, you can also build it in a cocktail shaker if you prefer.
To build it in a shaker, you just want to fill the shaker with ice. Then, measure your ingredients directly into the shaker. Shake it well and pour your drink into your glass.
Grab the whiskey as well as the jigger. Use the jigger and measure 2 oz of whiskey. Pour that into the glass.
Grab the limeade as well as the jigger. Use the jigger and measure 4 oz of limeade. Pour that into the glass.
Note: You can also simply use the limeade to top the glass off instead of measuring it out. If you choose to do this, typically you’ll end up with a little more than 4 oz of limeade.
Before you finish up make sure that you have everything mixed together well. To do this, you can use a bar spoon or a cocktail shaker.
To use a bar spoon: simply place the spoon into the glass and stir well.
To use a cocktail shaker colon simply dump the contents of the glass into the shaker. Then, dump the contents from the shaker back to the glass.
Whiskey and Limeade
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- bar spoon
- highball glass
- 2 oz Whiskey
- 4 oz Limeade
- Gather up all the things needed to make this cocktail.
- Toss some ice into the glass so that it is almost filled.
- Grab the whiskey. Use the jigger to measure 2 oz of whiskey and pour it into the glass.
- Grab the limeade Use the jigger to measure 4 oz of limeade and pour it into the glass.note: you can also just pour the limeade directly into the glass to top it off.
- To mix it all up either use the bar spoon and stir well. Or, gently toss the drink into the shaker and then back into the glass.
- also add ice to the shaker.
- Directly pour ingredients into shaker.
- Cover the shaker with the lid and shake well.
- Remove the shaker lid.
- Cover the shaker with the strainer and pour into the glass.