Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Rev up your cocktails and coffees with this easy to make vanilla simple syrup. This is the perfect infusion of vanilla into a sweet syrup. You can drizzle this one into lattes, mocktails or even over your favorite ice cream sundae.
🥂What is Vanilla Simple Syrup?
Vanilla simple syrup is a liquid sweetener made from equal ratios of sugar and water with a little vanilla extract mixed in. This vanilla flavored sweetener is perfect for adding into a wide variety of drinks like lattes, milks and mocktails as well as drizzling over foods like pancakes and cakes.
Although you can purchase this in the store, making it home is super easy and a lot cheaper. You only need three basic ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen and about 15 minutes.
This versatile vanilla syrup is perfect to have on hand whether you’re looking to make something extra special for a holiday celebration or just want a little extra something in your morning coffee.
Check out these reasons that you must try this recipe:
- Inexpensive. Since you only need three ingredients one of which is water this recipe is super cheap to make. So you can buy a similar product in the store, making it home will save you some dollars.
- Easy and quick. All you have to do to get this recipe ready Is posture 3 ingredients together and heat them on the stove for 10 minutes. It really doesn’t get much easier than that.
- Multiple uses. There a wide variety of different uses for this syrup including adding it to drinks like milk, hot chocolate or coffee. You can also add it as an extra sweet flavor addition to foods like pancakes or ice cream.
- Wooden Spoon (or any long handle spoon)
- Mason jar or Small Pyrex
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoons
- 1 cup Sugar – You’ll want to use granulated sugar. This is where the sweet flavor of the syrup comes from.
- 1 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla – We like to use organic Madagascar vanilla extract. But, any brand and type you prefer works fine.
Gather up everything you need for this recipe including vanilla, measuring spoon, measuring cup, water, sugar and saucepan.
Measure 1 teaspoon of vanilla and add it into the saucepan.
Measure one cup of sugar and pour it into the saucepan.
Measure one cup of water and pour it into the saucepan.
Place the mixture on top of the stovetop and heat it on medium heat until it’s simmers. Simmer it for around 10 minutes while stirring frequently.
After about 10 minutes, remove it from the heat. Then, pour it into an airtight container with a lid and store it in the fridge to cool for around 2 hours before using.
⭐How to Use
This can be used in a wide variety of different drinks and dishes. It’s a very versatile syrup. Here are a few ways to use it:
- Mix it in cocktails. You can use this syrup in a wide variety of different cocktails. One of the most popular is the pornstar martini. however, it’s well suited to add into any cocktail that you want to add a little sweet vanilla flavor to.
- Add to milk. Make a sweet, delicious vanilla milk. Simply add a couple ounces of this syrup to a full glass of milk.
- Sweeten your coffee or tea. This makes a great addition to a wide variety of different teas or even just your morning coffee. Use it to make your favorite fancy Starbucks drinks at home like a vanilla iced latte.
- Add it to desserts. Drizzle this over a wide variety of desserts from cakes to ice cream.
Here a few ideas for flavor variations as well as ingredients substitutions:
- Use vanilla beans. Use one pod, slice it down the middle and steep it in the boiling liquid. Allow it to sit in the syrup as it cools as well so that the full flavor of vanilla infuses.
- Use vanilla bean paste. Use ½ of a teaspoon paste in place of the extract.
- Scale it up or down. This recipe makes about 1.25 cups of syrup. However, you can make more or less if desired. Just make sure to keep the ratios the same.
- Substitute the sugar. You can use brown sugar or even honey and place of the granulated white sugar in this recipe.
💭 Top Tips & Storage
Make sure to check out these top tips for success as well as storage and freezing tips so that you are syrup is well kept:
- Don’t boil it. Well you do want it to do a heavy simmer while heating, you don’t want to fully boil the syrup. Boiling it can cause it to burn or scorch.
- Give it time to cool. After heating and before using, give it around 2 hours to cool in the fridge so that it has time to thicken up into a syrup consistency.
- Storage. You can keep this for up to 4 weeks as long as it is in an airtight container and kept cool in the fridge.
- Long-term storage. If you won’t use it in 3 to 4 weeks, you can freeze the syrup. The best way to do this is to pour it into an ice cube tray and freeze it. Then pop your frozen cubes out and put them in an airtight freezer bag.
Vanilla Simple Syrup
- Wooden Spoon
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoon
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- Measure 1 teaspoon of vanilla and add it to the pot.
- Measure 1 cup of sugar and add it to the pot.
- Measure 1 cup of water and add it to the pot.
- Put the pot on the stovetop at medium heat to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir regularly while heating.
- Take it off the heat and pour it into a pyrex or jar.
- Put it in the refrigerator to cool off and thicken up.
- Keep in an airtight jar or container for up to 4 weeks in the refrigerator.
- If not using before 4 weeks, freeze it in an ice cube tray.
- Only simmer the mixture, do not boil it.
- Stir well while heating so that it heats evenly.