Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
It could be better than a creamy, sweet and vanilla infused drink? Give this vanilla milk a try. It’s a super easy to make two ingredient drink that is sure to throw you back to your childhood. You can serve it to yourself or your toddler.
🥛 What is a Vanilla Milk?
This vanilla milk is a simple combination of vanilla simple syrup and milk. The resulting drink is sweet and creamy with a light vanilla flavor. It tastes like drinking melted vanilla ice cream.
While you can make vanilla milk with sugar and vanilla extract, using vanilla simple syrup is the way to go. Simple syrup is a liquid sweetener that is typically used to sweeten drinks because it dissolves much easier and more consistently than sugar does.
Still not convinced? Here are a few reasons why you will love this recipe:
- It’s super easy. With only two ingredients this recipe is exceedingly easy. You can have this one stirred up in 2 minutes.
- Good for adults or kids. This drink is a nice, creamy and sweet treat for a wide variety of people from adults to kids. Everyone is sure to love it.
- Customizable. There are a lot of different variations you can do to the strength from serving it hot or cold to adding or subtracting some of the sweetness. You can make it exactly the way your taste buds love.
⭐ When to Make This Drink
This sweet, vanilla treat is perfect for serving most any time. Try it out at a few of these occasions:
- With breakfast
- Evening sipping
If you need some flavor variations or ingredient substitutions check these out:
- Make warm vanilla milk. Add your milk into the microwave for about 30 to 60 seconds or warm it on the stove at medium heat before adding your vanilla simple syrup. Just make sure that you do not overheat and scorch the milk. It should have a low simmer, but not a full rolling boil.
- Add cinnamon or nutmeg. Add a little extra spice and flavor to this drink by adding a few dashes of cinnamon or nutmeg on top.
- Make it dairy-free. Instead of using regular milk use a dairy-free alternative such as oat milk or almond milk.
- 2 oz Vanilla Simple Syrup – You store-bought if you want this recipe to go fast. Or, you can make your own with 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 4 oz of Milk – We like to use 2%, but you can use whatever your favorite milk is.
Gather up everything necessary for this beverage including rocks glass, ice, bar spoon, jigger, vanilla simple syrup and milk.
Note: You can use any glass you prefer. It does not have to be a rocks glass.
Additionally, if you don’t have a jigger to measure an ounces please check out the cup and tablespoon measurements in the recipe card below.
Fill up your rocks glass with ice.
Measure up 2 oz of vanilla simple syrup and add it to the glass.
Measure up 4 oz of milk and add it to the glass.
Take your bar spoon and gently stir the mixture together so that it is well mixed.
- cocktail shaker
- Hawthorne strainer
- Rocks glass
- 2 oz Vanilla simple syrup if you want to use homemade, instructions below. You will need 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar.
- 4 oz Milk
Vanilla Simple Syrup
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar to a saucepan.
- Heat on medium-high while stirring frequently for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and place into the refrigerator to cool.
- Fill a rocks glass and cocktail shaker both to the top with ice.
- Use the jigger to measure 4 oz of milk. Pour the milk into the shaker.*if you don't have a jigger, see notes below for measurements in cups.
- Use the jigger to measure 2 oz of vanilla simple syrup. Pour the vanilla simple syrup into the shaker.
- Pop the shaker lid on a shake it up for about 20 seconds.
- Take off the shaker lid and pour the drink into the rocks glass.
- ¼ cup vanilla simple syrup
- ½ cup milk
- Use any type of milk you want including dairy free.
- You can use store-bought vanilla simple syrup or make your own.
- If you don’t have a cocktail shaker, you can mix it in any jar with a lid such as a mason jar. Or you can just stir it together with a spoon.