Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you’re looking for the perfect summer zipper, then try out the Alabama slammer cocktail. This bright red super sweet and fruity drink is refreshing and easy to make.
What is an Alabama Slammer Cocktail?
An Alabama slammer, sometimes called a southern slammer, is a combination of Southern comfort, sloe gin, orange juice and amaretto. The resulting cocktail is sweet and refreshing freshing with a heavy citrus flavor and hints of almond and caramel flavor.
The history of this drink dates back to the early 1970s. Rumor has it this drink was invented either on the campus of the University of Alabama or at a local restaurant or bar nearby. The bright red color of this drink resembles the crimson of the schools team colors.
Southern comfort is a whiskey based liqueur. It is sometimes known as soco. It is made from whiskey with fruits and spices infused. It typically has a sweet and smooth flavor that is full of fruit like cherries and citrus as well as spices such as vanilla and cinnamon.
Amaretto is an Italian liqueur. It is typically made from apricot or peach pits or almonds. It tends to have a little bit of a bitter and a little bit of a sweet taste with a nutty flavor mixed in.
Sloe gin is a reddish purple liqueur. It is a gin-based liqueur that is also made with sloe berries or fruit. Sloe berries are sort of similar to plums. This liqueur is sweet and has strong fruit flavors with tartness of cranberries and cherries.
When to Make This Drink:
With its bright color and refreshing flavor this cocktail is perfect to be served at a variety of times including:
- tailgate parties
- sports celebrations
- afternoon sipping
Here are a few ways you can change this drink up:
- Squeeze your own orange juice. It’s best to use the freshest orange juice possible for the strength period pulp free is also highly recommended. Squeezing your own orange juice guarantees you have the freshest sweetest juice.
- Make it a shooter. Though this is commonly made as a highball cocktail, it can also be served as a shooter. To make it a shooter use about a half ounce of each ingredient.
- Add a citrus twist. Some people like to add a splash of limiter lime juice to add a citrus twist to their drink.
Some similar tasting cocktails are: the slow comfortable screw, the red death drink and the preakness cocktail.
How to make this drink:
This cocktail is super easy to toss together. You only need four ingredients and around 3 minutes and you’re good to go.
- 1 oz Southern Comfort
- 1 oz Sloe Gin
- 1 oz Amaretto
- top with Orange Juice
Make sure you have everything necessary to make this drink including a highball glass, ice, southern comfort, amaretto, sloe gin, orange juice, a jigger, a cocktail shaker or bar spoon.
Go ahead and make sure that you have filled the highball glass with ice. The ice should go almost to the top of the glass.
note: You can build a string straighten a glass or in a cocktail shaker. For the directions detailed below will be building it in a glass.
If you prefer to build it in a cocktail shaker, make sure to fill the shaker with ice as well. Then, pour all of your ingredients first into the shaker, then place the top on the shaker and shake it well, then using a Hawthorne strainer pour your drink from the shaker into the glass.
Pick up your jigger and your Southern comfort. Measure out 1 oz of Southern comfort with a jigger and then dump it into your glass.
Pick up your amaretto and jigger. Measure out 1 oz of amaretto with a jigger and dump it into your glass.
Pick up your sloe gin and jigger. Measure out 1 oz of sloe gin with the jigger and dump into the glass.
Pick up your Orange Juice next. Pour it into your highball glass – topping the glass off with it. This will be about 5 – 6 oz.
To get this drink mixed up you can do it two ways either in the glass or the shaker.
To do it in the glass, you’ll use a bar spoon. Simply stick the spoon in the side of the glass and give it a few good stirs.
To do it with a shaker, gently toss all the contents of your glass into the shaker and then from the shaker back into the glass.
- highball glass
- bar spoon
- cocktail shaker
- Hawthorne strainer
- .75 oz Southern Comfort
- .75 oz Sloe Gin
- .75 oz Amaretto
- 5 – 6 oz Orange Juice
- Orange wedge and/or maraschino cherry optional garnish
- Gather all the items needed in order to make this drink.
- Fill your highball glass with ice.
- Pick up the Southern Comfort and jigger. Use the jigger to measure .75 oz of Southern Comfort and toss it into the glass.
- Pick up the Sloe Gin and jigger. Use the jigger to measure .75 oz of Sloe Gin and toss it into the glass.
- Pick up the Amaretto and jigger. Use the jigger to measure .75 oz of Amaretto and toss it into the glass.
- Pick up the Orange Juice. Pour it straight into the glass topping the glass off with it.
- To mix the drink, there are two methods:1) Use a bar spoon. Stick it into your glass and stir well.2) Use a cocktail shaker. Carefully toss the drink from your glass into the shaker. Then, from the shaker into your glass.
- If you want to add an optional garnish:1) Pop a maraschino cherry or two on top of the drink.2) Slice an orange into slices. Take one slice and cut a notch in the pulp. Use that notch to secure the slice on the rim of the glass.
- also fill the shaker with ice.
- Measure all of the ingredients straight into the shaker instead of the glass.
- Put the shaker top on and shake it well until the outside is cold to the touch.
- Remove the shaker top and replace it with the Hawthorne strainer.
- Strain the drink from the shaker into the glass.
Leave a Reply