Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
You’re looking for a fruity and refreshing cocktail, try out the slow comfortable screw drink. This brightly colored and easy to make cocktail is perfect for sipping.
What is a Slow Comfortable Screw Drink?
A slow comfortable screw drink is a combination of sloe gin, vodka, Southern comfort and orange juice. The resulting cocktail is a sweet drink that tastes strongly like orange juice with a bite from the soco and vodka as it goes down.
Vodka is a clear colored liquor. It is made by fermenting grains such as rye or even potatoes and then distilling them. It is known as being a relatively tasteless or neutral flavored liquor. Where the drinks it is added to typically only get an alcoholic bite as it’s flavor.
Southern comfort, sometimes known as SOCO, is a dark colored liqueur. It is a combination of whiskey that has fruits and spices added to it. It is a sweet and smooth liquor with fruity highlights and undertones of caramel and spice.
Sloe gin is a reddish purple liqueur. It is made from gin and sloe fruits which are sort of like plums. It is on the lower alcohol content at around 15% alcohol by volume. It is sweet and tart at the same time.
The best orange juice to use in this cocktail is pulp free. It’s also best to use as fresh as possible. If you use orange juice with pulp it will lead to a grainy texture in your cocktail.
When to mix this drink
With its bright reddish orange color and refreshing flavor this drink is perfect for many occasions including:
- pre-dinner drinks
- summer sipping
- barbecues or pool parties
Here are a few ways to change up this drink:
- Make a red death drink. Add amaretto and triple sec to the below ingredients and you’ll have a red death cocktail. To the below ingredients and you’ll have a red death cocktail.
- Make it against the wall. Add Gaillano And you’ll have what’s called a slow comfortable screw against the wall.
- Make it in between the sheets. Add triple sec to the low ingredients and you’ll have a slow comfortable screw in between the sheets.
Another similar cocktails is: the screw up drink, the alabama slammer and the black-eyed susan cocktail
How to make this drink:
With four simple and easy to get ingredients you can mix this drink up in 5 minutes or less. Simply toss all of your ingredients together and give them a stir.
- 1 oz sloe gin
- 1 oz vodka
- 1 oz Southern Comfort
- top with OJ
Start up by making sure you have everything you need to make this drink including sloe gin, Southern comfort, orange juice, vodka, a highball glass, jigger, ice, cocktail shaker or bar spoon.
Grab up your ice and toss it into your highball glass. You should use enough that the glass is almost completely filled.
note: in the step by step instructions below we will be building our drink straight in the glass. However, you can also build this drink in a cocktail shaker.
To build it in a cocktail shaker, fill the sugar with ice as well. Toss the ingredients straight into the shaker. Put the top on the shaker and shake it up well. Replace the top with a strainer and pour your drink into your glass.
Snatch up your jigger and your sloe gin. Measure out 1 oz of sloe gin
Snatch the soco and jigger up. Measure out 1 oz of soco and toss it in your highball glass with the sloe gin.
Snatch up the vodka and jigger. Use your jigger to measure 1 oz of vodka and toss that into the highball glass as well.
Snatch up the orange juice and use it to top off your glass. This will be around 4 to 6 oz of orange juice.
Finally, you’ll need to get your drink mixed well. You have two options to do this
The first way is by using the cocktail shaker. Carefully toss the drink from your glass into your shaker and from your shaker back to your glass.
The second way is by using the bar spoon. Carefully place the bar spoon into your glass and give it a couple good stirs.
Slow Comfortable Screw Drink
- bar spoon
- highball glass
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- 1 oz Sloe Gin
- 1 oz Vodka
- 1 oz Southern Comfort
- 3 – 4 oz Orange Juice
- Get all the ingredients and equipment gathered up to make your drink.
- Fill your highball glass almost to the top with ice.
- Measure out 1 oz of sloe gin with the jigger and pour it into the glass.
- Measure out 1 oz of vodka with the jigger and pour it into the glass.
- Measure out 1 oz of southern comfort with the jigger and pour it into the glass.
- Measure out 4 oz of orange juice with the jigger and pour it into the glass.note: instead of measuring it, you can also just top the glass off with orange juice.
- There are two ways to mix your drink up:1) Use a bar spoon in the glass and stir well.2) Carefully toss the drink from the glass into a shaker and then from the shaker back into the glass.
- Fill your shaker with glass in addition to the glass.
- Measure all of your ingredients into the shaker.
- Put the top on the shaker and shake it up.
- Replace the top of the shaker with the hawthorne strainer and pour it into the glass.
Leave a Reply