Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
The White Russian is a classic and super easy to make cocktail. If you’re looking for something fast, but sweet and decadent then this one is what you should try.
What is a White Russian?
A White Russian is a combination of vodka, Kahlua and heavy cream. It is essentially the same thing as a black Russian cocktail only with cream layered on top. This cocktail is decadent and rich It tastes like a sweet cappuccino with a bite of vodka.
If you switch out the heavy cream in this drink and use irish cream instead, you will have an iron butterfly cocktail.
The White Russian cocktail dates back to the 1950s, but it wasn’t made super popular until the late 1990s due to a movie called The Big Lebowski. Though it has the word Russian in its name, it was not made in Russia.
Vodka is made by fermenting and distilling grains such as rye or sometimes potatoes. It typically has a rather neutral flavor. When choosing a vodka for this drink, try to get a mid-range vodka. While you can taste the vodka in this drink, it is not the biggest highlight.
Heavy cream is super thick, creamy and sweet. It is essentially the fat that sits on top of cow’s milk.
Kahlua is a type of coffee liqueur that originated in Mexico. It is made from arabica coffee beans, rum and sugar. It is a rich dark color and has a strong sweet coffee flavor.
When to Make This Drink:
With the rich sweet flavor of this drink, it can be served at a variety of different times such as:
- after dinner drinks
- holiday parties
- drinks for dessert
This cocktail is pretty standard so there aren’t a lot of ways to change it up. However, there are a few things you can do to make it a little different including:
- Stir instead of layer. Typically, the heavy cream is layered on top in this drink. However, you can stir the whole thing together if you prefer.
- Substitute the heavy cream. You can use half and half or even milk in this drink instead of heavy cream. However, be aware that they drink won’t be quite as rich and creamy. Though, half and half and milk will both help cut the calories down and make the drink a little lighter.
- Substitute the Kahlua. Kahlua is one of the more well-known coffee liqueurs. However, there are a variety of other coffee liqueurs that can be used in this drink such as Tia Maria.
- Make it dairy-free. If you don’t drink dairy, you can still try this cocktail out by substituting the heavy cream for a dairy-free alternative such as oat milk. As when you substitute the heavy cream for regular milk, do be aware that dairy-free alternatives will be a little lighter than heavy cream.
- Use a flavored vodka. If you really want to double down on the coffee flavor in this drink, you can use an espresso flavored vodka. Or, a vanilla vodka would also work well with the other flavors in this drink.
- Change up the ratios. We like to use a two to one to one ratio for the vodka to Kahlua to heavy cream in this drink. This makes a stronger drink. However, You can change the ratios up and use a little additional heavy cream or even make it a one to one to one ratio just depending on what flavors you like.
Other similar Kahlua cocktails are: the colorado bulldog drink, kahlua and cream, mudslide cocktail and gorilla milk drink.
How to make this drink:
You only need about 3 minutes to get this three ingredient cocktail whipped up. The thing that will take the longest time is slowly layering your heavy cream on top.
- 2 oz Vodka
- 1 oz Kahlua
- 1 oz Heavy cream
To get started, make sure you have everything necessary for the drink including rocks glass, bar spoon, jigger, ice, Kahlua, heavy cream and vodka.
Take your glass and fill it almost to the top with ice.
Take your vodka. Using your jigger, measure 2 oz of vodka. Then toss it into your glass.
Take your Kahlua. Using your jigger, measure 1 oz of Kahlua. Then toss it into your glass.
Take your heavy cream. Using your jigger measure 1 oz of heavy cream.
Then, either slowly pour it into your glass. Or, to be sure it layers well use a bar spoon. Place the bar spoon upside down just over the top of the liquid in the glass. Then, pour the heavy cream from the jigger over the back of the bar spoon.
If you want to swirl your drink a little before getting to sipping, now with the time to do so.
White Russian Cocktail
- Rocks glass
- bar spoon
- 2 oz vodka
- 1 oz Kahlua
- 1 oz Heavy Cream
- Grab the ice and toss it into the rocks glass. Glass should be almost filled to the top with ice.
- Take the jigger and measure 2 oz of vodka. Pour it into the rocks glass.
- Take the jigger and measure 1 oz of kahlua Pour it into the rocks glass.
- Take the jigger and measure 1 oz of heavy cream. Pour it slowly into the rocks glass so that it sit on top of the kahlua and vodka.note: if you want to help the heavy cream float, you can use a bar spoon. Place it upside down just above the kahlua and vodka. Then, slowly pour the heavy cream over the back of the spoon.
- If you want to create a little swirl effect, use the bar spoon and very slowly stir just once or twice.
Leave a Reply