Looking for a little twist on old classic? Try out this pink Russian cocktail for a creamy, strawberry coffee cocktail your sure to love.
What is a Pink Russian?
A pink Russian is made of tequila Rose, half and half, vodka and Kahlua. The resulting light pink drink is sweet, creamy and tastes like a strawberry cappuccino.
This drink is a twist on the classic black Russian and White Russian cocktails that are well known. But with the added ingredient of tequila Rose.
Vodka is made by fermenting and distilling grains. It is a clear liquor that has a relatively tasteless or neutral flavor. It is commonly used in drinks to give them a little alcoholic kick, but while allowing the other ingredients to stand out.
Kahlua is a dark colored liqueur. It originated in Mexico. It is made from rum, arabica coffee beans and sugar. It has a very sweet coffee flavor.
The half and half in this cocktail adds to the creaminess of the drink. It helps to smooth out the bite of the vodka and meld the other flavors together.
Tequila Rose is a liqueur made from tequila and strawberry cream. The cream used is a dairy based product. This court is a light pink color and is thick and creamy in texture.
When to Make This Drink:
Its sweet and creamy flavor and pretty pink color makes it the perfect cocktail to serve at such events including:
- date nights
- New Year’s Eve
If you’re wondering how you might change this drink up a little, here are a few ways to do so:
- Substitute the half and half. Instead of half and half you can use heavy cream or milk. Milk will be a little bit lighter in the drink while heavy cream will lend a thicker and sweeter flavor.
- Use a flavored vodka. If you want to ramp up the strawberry flavor in this drink, try a strawberry flavored vodka. You could also use a flavored vodka such as vanilla to add to the flavor profile of the cocktail.
- Substitute the Kahlua. Blue is one of the most popular and well-known coffee liqueurs. However, there are other coffee liqueurs you can use in its place such as Tia Maria.
- Change up the ratios. The ratios of ingredients we used in our recipe really highlight the tequila Rose. However, if you wanted a slightly stronger drink you could add a little additional vodka. Or, if you wanted a little creamier drink you could add a little extra half and half.
How to make this drink:
You should be able to have this drink whipped up in about 5 minutes or so. You only need four ingredients with no layering, glass rimming or garnishes needed.
- 1.5 oz Tequila Rose
- 1 oz Kahlua
- 1 oz Vodka
- .5 oz Half and half
Begin by looking very hope everything necessary for the drink including half and half, tequila Rose, Kahlua, vodka, jigger, cocktail shaker, rocks glass and ice.
Grab a couple handfuls of ice and use it to fill your rocks glass. The glass should be almost completely filled with ice.
note: We chose to build this drink straight in the glass. However, you could also build it in a cocktail shaker.
If you want to build it in the cocktail shaker, make sure to add ice to the shaker to start. Then, at all of your ingredients directly to the shaker. Put the lid on the shaker and shake well. Then, strain your drink from the shaker into your glass.
Using your jigger, measure 1.5 oz of tequila Rose. Then, dump it into the glass.
Using your jigger, measure 1 oz of vodka. Then, dump it into the glass with a tequila rose.
Eating a jigger, measure 1 oz of Kahlua. Then dump it into the glass with the vodka and tequila rose.
Using the jigger, measure 0.5 oz of half and half. Then, dump it in the glass with the other ingredients.
To mix the drink together, dump all of the contents of the glass into the shaker. Then, carefully dump the ingredients from the shaker back into the glass.
Pink Russian Cocktail
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- Rocks glass
- 1.5 oz Tequila Rose
- 1 oz Kahlua
- 1 oz Vodka
- .5 oz Half and Half
- Gather up everything needed to make this cocktail.
- Toss ice into the rocks glass. It should be filled about to the top of the glass.
- Pick up the tequila rose. Use the jigger and measure out 1.5 oz of Tequila Rose. Pour it in the glass.1 oz Kahlua1 oz Vodka .5 oz Half and half
- Pick up the Kahlua. Use the jigger and measure out 1 oz of Kahlua. Pour it in the glass.
- Pick up the vodka. Use the jigger and measure out 1 oz of Vodka. Pour it in the glass.
- Pick up the half and half. Use the jigger and measure out .5 oz of half and half Pour it in the glass.
- To mix everything together, toss the contents of the glass into the cocktail shaker.
- Then, pour everything from the shaker back to the glass.
- Also fill the shaker with ice.
- Pour your ingredients directly into the shaker.
- Put the top on the shaker and shake for 15 – 20 seconds.
- Remove the shaker top.
- Put the strainer over the shaker and pour it into the glass.