Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Looking for a tart twist on an old classic? Give this super easy cranberry Moscow mule a spin. This one is so easy to make all you do is pour everything right into a mug.
What is a Cranberry Mule?
A cranberry mule is a combination of cranberry juice, vodka, lime juice, ginger beer, ice and is topped with a sprig of mint is garnish. This cocktail is tart, light and fizzy with a spicy tang and a hint of mint. It is the perfect combination of tart cranberry, citrus twist and spicy ginger.
This is cocktail is a flavored spin on the classic Moscow mule. The Moscow mule is made with plain vodka and no juices. The Moscow mule dates back to the 1940s.
There are wide variety of easy flavored mule variations you can make including an apple cider mule, a grape mule, a strawberry mule and a cherry mule.
All mule cocktails are typically served in a copper mug. Not only is the copper mug a traditional glassware for this drink, but it also serves an insulation purpose keeping your drink ice cold as you sip it.
However, if you don’t have a copper mug, don’t feel like you can’t make this drink. It can be served in any glassware you prefer.
The cranberry juice in this drink is best when served as a no-sugar added 100% cranberry juice drink. If you get cranberry juice cocktail or cranberry juice with sugar added you won’t get that pure tart cranberry flavor.
When choosing a vodka for this drink, you don’t need to go top shelf as the vodka is not the star of the show. However, choosing a nice mid-range vodka such as stoli works well so that you don’t have too much of the bite from the alcohol.
When to Make This Drink:
The added tart cranberry flavor in this drink makes it perfect for winter and fall occasions such as:
- Thanksgiving dinner
- Christmas celebrations
- winter holidays
- fall brunch
If you’d like to change this drink up a little here are a few ideas to try:
- Use a flavored vodka. Want to capitalize on the cranberry flavor? Try a cranberry flavored vodka instead of regular vodka.
- Squeeze your own lime juice. Make sure you have the freshest lime flavor by squeezing your own juice instead of using store-bought.
- Make a large batch. Multiply the ingredients by five or six times and serve it in a punch bowl with a ladle.
- Add fresh cranberry garnish. Typically a spring of mint is the garnish in the strength, but if you’d like to capitalize on the cranberry flavor and bright red color add a few fresh cranberries to the top of the drink.
How to make this drink:
There’s no shaking, stirring or glass rimming required for this cocktail. All you have to do is pour your ingredients into your mug and get to sipping. All you have to do is pour your ingredients into your mug and get to sipping.
- Copper Mug
- 2 oz Vodka
- 2 oz Cranberry juice
- 3 oz Gingerbeer
- .5 oz Lime juice
- Top mint leaves as garnish
Gather together everything you need to make this cocktail including vodka, cranberry juice, ginger beer, lime juice, ice, copper mug, jigger and sprig of mint.
Toss a few handfuls of ice into your copper mug until it is filled to the brim.
Take the cranberry juice and jigger. Use the jigger to measure 2 oz of cranberry juice and pour it into the mug.
Take the vodka. Use the jigger to measure 2 oz of vodka and pour into the mug.
Take the lime juice. Use the jigger to measure 0.5 oz of lime juice and pour it into the mug.
Take the ginger beer. Use a jigger to measure 3 to 4 oz of ginger beer and pour it into the mug.
If you desire, you can simply pour the ginger beer directly into the mug topping it off.
Place a sprig of mint and a copper straw into your cup and get to sipping.
- Copper Mug
- bar spoon
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- 2 oz Vodka
- 2 oz Cranberry Juice
- 3 oz Gingerbeer
- .5 oz Lime Juice
- Mint Leaves optional garnish
- Get together everything necessary for the drink.
- Fill your mug with ice almost to the top.
- Grab your jigger and measure out 2 oz of vodka. Toss that in the mug.
- Grab your jigger and measure out 2 oz of cranberry juice. Toss that in the mug.
- Grab your jigger and measure out 3 oz of gingerbeer. Toss that in the mug.
- Grab your jigger and measure out .5 oz of lime juice. Toss that in the mug.
- To mix the mule, there are two options:1) gently toss the drink from the mug into the shaker and then back into the mug.2) Use a barspoon to gently stir it well.
- Optional garnish – add a few mint leaves on top, or a few cranberries.
- Also fill the shaker with ice.
- Measure ingredients directly to the shaker.
- Cover the shaker with it’s lid.
- Shake well for about 15 seconds; not too vigorously so the gingerbeer doesn’t fizz.
- Remove the lid.
- Add the strainer on top of the shaker and pour into the mug.
- add mint leaves or cranberries if garnish is desired.
Leave a Reply