Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
This nutty, sweet frangelico sour recipe is perfect for sipping. With only three ingredients you can shake this one right up.
What is a Frangelico Sour?
A frangelico sour is a combination of frangelico, lemon juice and simple syrup. It has a sweet hazelnut flavor with a sour twist of citrus.
This drink is among the family of sour drinks which are a liquor combined with a citrus typically lemon juice and simple syrup. Some other popular sour drinks include a vodka sour, a whiskey sour, passion fruit sour and an amaretto sour.
For the lemon juice you can use store-bought or fresh squeezed. Fresh squeezed of course as a little extra tang and freshness.
Frangelico is a light gold colored liqueur made in Italy. It has a sweet hazelnut flavor with undertones of chocolate and vanilla. It has a rich and smooth flavor (source)
Frangelico liqueur has a medium alcohol content at around 20% alcohol by volume. Since it is the only liquor or liquor in this drink, this cocktail is a lower proof drink.
When to Make This Drink:
This sweet and sour nutty drink is perfect for serving at times like:
- cocktail hour
- Drinks with dinner
- afternoon sipping
If you’re looking to change this drink up a little but continue it’s sour naughty flavor, try these tips out:
- Add an egg white. Most sour drinks have variations with an egg white added to it. You can certainly do that for this drink as well.
- Change out the citrus. Lemon is classically used in sour drinks, but lime juice can also be used as well.
- Use hazelnut simple syrup. Capitalize on the nutty flavor of frangelico by using a flavored hazelnut simple syrup instead of plain simple syrup.
- Use a different hazelnut liqueur. Of course this is called a frangelico sour, so is it really still that if you use a different hazelnut liqueur? Either way it would still give the same nutty flavor.
How to make this drink:
If you’ve got about 3 minutes you can whip does three ingredient cocktail up easily. Toss it all in the shaker and shake well.
- 2 oz Frangelico
- 1 oz Lemon juice
- .5 oz Simple syrup
Ensure you have everything needed for this drink including simple syrup, lemon juice, frangelico, ice, cocktail shaker, Hawthorne strainer, jigger and rocks glass.
Dump some ice into both the cocktail shaker as well as a rocks glass.
You can build this drink either in the glass and then shake it in the shaker or you can build it directly in the shaker.
Pour 2 oz of frangelico into the jigger. Then dump that into the glass or shaker.
Pour 1 oz of lemon juice into the jigger. Then dump that into the glass or shaker.
Pour .5 oz of simple syrup into the jigger. Then dump that into the glass or shaker.
If you built the drink in your glass pour it all into the shaker. Put the cocktail shaker lid on and shake well for about 20 to 30 seconds. Then, remove the lid and pour your drink from the shaker into the glass.
- cocktail shaker
- Hawthorne strainer
- Rocks glass
- 2 oz Frangelico
- 1 oz Lemon Juice
- .5 oz Simple Syrup
- Use the ice to fill both the cocktail shaker and rocks glass with ice.
- Pick up the frangelico. WIth the jigger, measure 2 oz of Frangelico and pour it into the shaker.
- Pick up the lemon juice. WIth the jigger, measure 1 oz of lemon juice and pour it into the shaker.
- Pick up the simple syrup. WIth the jigger, measure .5 oz of simple syrup and pour it into the shaker.
- Pick up the shaker top and secure it on the shaker.
- Shake well. After about 15 – 20 seconds, the shaker will get cold.
- Pick up the strainer and replace the shaker top with it.
- Pour the drink into the rocks glass.