Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
This gin and eggnog is a super simple cocktail that is creamy and delicious with a burst of botanical flavors. This drink is the perfect addition to any of your winter holiday celebrations.
What is a Gin and Eggnog?
A gin and eggnog is a two ingredient cocktail that has the creamy decadent eggnog flavor infused with a burst of robust botanical flavors as it goes down. Though gin isn’t the most popular go to to mix with eggnog it does create a robust flavored cocktail that is perfect for gin lovers.
Gin is a liquor that is made from distilling juniper berries. It is not typically a sweet liquor but rather has strong botanical flavors such as pine. Gin can also have flavors of herbs and spices like cardamom and coriander as well as hints of citrus.
Eggnog is a drink typically made around Christmas and New Year’s. It is a combination of cream, milk, sugar, vanilla and of course eggs. It is a very thick, rich and decadent drink with almost a custard-like flavor and texture.
For this cocktail, you can use either store-bought eggnog or you can make your own eggnog. While store-bought eggnog is a lot faster, making your own can be cheaper and you can make it anytime of the year.
When to make this drink
This drink with it decadence and rich flavors is perfect for many different celebrations. Try it out at a few of the following occasions:
- New Year’s Eve parties
- Christmas celebrations
- Relaxing by the fireplace on Christmas Eve
- Winter get togethers
How to make this drink:
If you have two minutes then you have time to mix this drink up. All you have to do is simply toss your eggnog and gin together and give them a good stir.
- 2 oz Gin
- 4 oz Eggnog
- Cinnamon or Nutmeg
As you get started you’ll first want to gather up your glass, jigger, bar spoon, gin, eggnog and cinnamon or nutmeg.
Note: for this cocktail you can use either a highball or a rock’s glass. Either work equally well.
Pro tip: when it comes time to mix everything together you can either use a cocktail shaker or you can use a method we describe below by mixing everything straight in your glass.
Go ahead and first take some ice and fill your glass almost to the top with it.
Use your jigger in order to measure out 2 oz of gin. Then, pour your gin into your glass over your ice.
Use your jigger again, this time to measure out 4 oz of eggnog. Then, pour your eggnog into your glass with your gin and your ice.
Now you need to get everything mixed together. Place your bar spoon into your glass and give your gin and eggnog several stirs so that everything is thoroughly mixed.
Take your cinnamon or nutmeg and add several dashes of it to the top of your cocktail. Then you can either go straight to sipping or you can give it a stir or two and then enjoy.
Gin and Eggnog
- bar spoon
- highball glass or rocks glass
- Hawthorne strainer (optional)
- cocktail shaker (optional)
- 2 oz gin
- 4 oz eggnog
- cinnamon and nutmeg (optional garnish)
- Begin by getting together all of your equipment and ingredients.Note: For this drink, you can mix it in either your glass or in a cocktail shaker. Instructions below are for mixing in the glass. If you want to mix in a shaker:Fill your shaker with ice.Add ingredients to the shaker.Shake well, then pour drink into your glass.
- Fill your glass almost to the top with ice.Note: you can use either a rocks glass or highball glass for this drink.
- Grab your gin and your jigger. Measure 2 oz of gin and dump it into your drink.
- Grab your eggnog and your jigger. Measure 2 oz of eggnog and dump it into your drink.
- Grab your bar spoon and mix your drink well.
- Add a few sprinkles of cinnamon or nutmeg to the top of your cocktail and enjoy.