Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Looking for a decadent, coffee flavored cocktail? Try out this super easy three ingredient iron butterfly cocktail for your next after dinner sipper.
What is an Iron Butterfly Cocktail?
An iron butterfly cocktail is a combination of equal parts Kahlua, vodka and Irish cream. The resulting drink has a strong bite from the vodka on the front end that is quickly mixed and smoothed out into a creamy vanilla coffee flavor.
You may think this drink looks or tastes a little familiar. It is similar to a White Russian only instead of using heavy cream, will be using Bailey’s Irish cream. Alternatively, a mudslide cocktail has both heavy cream and Baileys combined with Kahlua and vodka.
Kahlua is a very sweet and strongly coffee flavored liqueur. It contributes the deep brown color of the this drink as well as the sweet coffee flavor.
Bailey’s Irish cream contributes a sweet and creamy flavor in this cocktail. It is made from cream, sugar and Irish whiskey. It typically has notes of vanilla and chocolate.
Though all of the ingredients in this cocktail have alcoholic content. The vodka is the strongest three ingredients. However, it has the lightest flavor being rather neutral with just a bit of a bite.
When to Make This Drink:
This drink is sweet and rich in flavor. This makes it great to serve at times such as:
- after dinner drinks
- afternoon sipping
With only three ingredients, there aren’t a lot of ways to change this drink up. However, here are a few ideas you can try:
- Use a flavored vodka. Double down on the coffee flavor and use a coffee flavored vodka. Or add a little extra sweetness and use a vanilla or whipped cream flavored vodka.
- Substitute the Kahlua. Kahlua is simply the most popular coffee flavored liqueur. However, there are others such as Tia Maria that you can use instead.
- Shake it up. Though in the instructions below we prefer to layer the ingredients into a glass. You can add all ingredients to a shaker and shake them together before serving.
How to make this drink:
With only three ingredients, you should be able to whip this one up in 5 minutes or less. Simply add your ingredients to a glass and give a little stir.
- 1.5 oz Kahlua
- 1.5 oz Vodka
- 1.5 oz Irish cream
Start out by gathering everything up including rocks glass, bar spoon, jigger, ice, Kahlua and Irish cream.
Toss ice into the rocks glass until it is filled up.
Grab the vodka. Use the jigger to measure 1.5 oz of vodka and dump it into the glass.
Grab the Kahlua. Use a jigger to measure 1.5 oz of Kahlua and dump it into the glass.
Grab the Irish cream. Use a jigger to measure 1.5 oz of Irish cream.
To add Irish cream on top of the drink, place a bar spoon upside down in the glass just above the Kahlua and vodka. Then, slowly pour the Irish cream from the jigger over the back of the bar spoon into the glass.
Use the bar spoon to give the drink just one or two slow stirs so that the Irish cream only partially mixes. Then enjoy!
Iron Butterfly Drink
- bar spoon
- Rocks glass
- 1.5 oz Kahlua
- 1.5 oz Vodka
- 1.5 oz Irish Cream
- Gather together all the items you need for this drink.
- Add ice to the rocks glass until it is filled to the top with ice.
- Measure 1.5 oz of vodka with the jigger. Toss the vodka into the rocks glass.
- Measure 1.5 oz of kahlua with the jigger. Toss the kahlua into the rocks glass.
- Measure 1.5 oz of irish cream with the jigger.
- Place the bar spoon upside down in the glass above the liquid.
- Slowly pour the measured irish cream into the drink.