Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
The mudslide cocktail is a classic drink that is full of sweet decadence. This one is easy to mix up and is a perfect dessert drink.
What is a Mudslide Cocktail?
A mudslide drink is made of Kahlua, vodka, heavy cream, Irish cream with optional garnishes of chocolate syrup. The resulting taste like a super sweet and rich chocolate milk with a strong bite of vodka on the back end.
Kahlua is a coffee flavored liqueur. It is made from arabica coffee beans, sugar and rum. It has about 20% alcohol by volume.
Vodka is a liquor that is clear in color. It is made by distilling grains such as rye or wheat that have been fermented. The resulting liquor tends to be neutral or almost tasteless. But, does have a strong alcoholic bite as it goes down.
Irish cream is a liqueur that is made from cream and whiskey with other flavors added in. It is extremely creamy, sweet and smooth. It has flavors of vanilla and cocoa.
When to Make This Drink:
With the sweet richness of this drink it is well suited for a variety of different occasions such as:
- holiday celebrations
- date nights
- after dinner drinks
- Valentine’s Day
If you’re looking for ways to change this drink up a little try some of these:
- Blend it up. You can even make a version of this with ice cream with is a Frozen Mudslide Cocktail.
- Substitute Kahlua. Kahlua is not the only coffee flavored liqueur out there. You can use another brand such as Tia Maria in place of the Kahlua.
- Make a Colorado bulldog. Remove the Irish cream and add in Coke
How to make this drink:
This drink does have a little bit of fancy looking garnish with the chocolate syrup in it, but it’s still really easy to make. With only four main ingredients you can have this one whipped up in 5 minutes or less.
- 1 oz Vodka
- 1 oz Kahlua
- 1 oz Irish cream
- 1.5 oz Heavy cream
- chocolate or chocolate syrup garnish
Get started by making sure you have everything needed for your drink including a rocks glass, cocktail shaker, jigger, vodka, Kahlua, chocolate syrup, Irish cream, heavy cream and ice.
Add the chocolate syrup garnish to your glass by tipping the glass sideways and carefully drizzling chocolate syrup around the edges of the glass in the inside of it as you turn the glass.
Next, carefully fill both your glass and your shaker almost to the top with ice.
Pick up your vodka and jigger. Use the jigger to measure one ounce of vodka and toss it into the shaker.
Pick up your Kahlua and jigger. Use a jigger to measure 1 oz of Kahlua and toss it into the shaker.
Pick up your Irish cream and jigger. Use the jigger to measure 1 oz of Irish cream and toss it into the shaker.
Pick up your heavy cream and jigger. Use the jigger to measure 1.5 oz of heavy cream and toss it into the shaker.
Place the lid on your cocktail shaker and shake your drink up well. It should take about 15 – 20 seconds and the outside of the shaker should be cold to the touch.
Remove the lid of the shaker and put the Hawthorne strainer on the shaker. Then, pour your drink from the shaker into your rocks glass. Enjoy!
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- Rocks glass
- 1 oz Vodka
- 1 oz Kahlua
- 1 oz Irish Cream
- 1.5 oz Heavy Cream
- Chocolate Syrup optional garnish
- Gather all of your ingredients and equipment together.
- Take your chocolate syrup and rocks glass. Tilt the glass sideways and drizzle the chocolate syrup around the sides of the glass.
- Grab up your ice and use it to fill your rocks glass as well as your cocktail shaker. Both should be almost to the top with ice.
- Grab up your vodka and jigger. Measure 1 oz of vodka with the jigger and toss it into the shaker.
- Grab up your kahlua and jigger. Measure 1 oz of Kahlua with the jigger and toss it into the shaker.
- Grab up your Irish Cream and jigger. Measure 1 oz of Irish Cream with the jigger and toss it into the shaker.
- Grab up your heavy cream and jigger. Measure 1.5 oz of heavy cream with the jigger and toss it into the shaker.
- Put the lid on the shaker and shake it well. It should take about 15 – 20 seconds, or until the outside of the shaker is cold to the touch.
- Remove the lid from the shaker and put the hawthorne strainer over the shaker.
- Pour your drink from the shaker into your glass.