This melon ball cocktail is bright green and super refreshing. With the flavors of melon and citrus it sure to be pleasing for everyone. Try this one on a hot summer day or for St Patrick’s day.
What is a Melon ball cocktail?
A melon ball cocktail or shot is a sweet, fruity, melon flavored drink. If you are familiar with ecto cooler Hi-C this tastes almost exactly like that with a bite from vodka at the tail end.
The melon ball cocktail is made by combining vodka, Midori and orange juice. It has an almost neon green color which makes it perfect for St Patrick’s Day celebrations. However, it’s sweet fruity and refreshing flavor also makes it great for any spring or summer time occasion as well.
Midori is a bright green melon flavored liquor which is where the color and majority of the flavor from the shot come from. The citrusy mix of the flavor comes of course from the orange juice.
Typically orange juice is used to top this drink off, but some people prefer pineapple juice.
How to make this drink:
You can make this drink as a shot/shooter or as a cocktail. To make it as a cocktail, double the ingredients listed below.
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- Rocks/Scotch/Bourbon glass
- Shot glasses
- Melon baller
- 4″ and 8″ cocktail picks
- 2 oz Midori
- 1 oz Vodka
- Splash OJ
- Melon ball
To get started, go ahead and grab your Hawthorne strainer, shaker, jigger, glasses, cocktail pick, vodka, Midori and orange juice.
The garnish for this drink is a ball of honeydew. If you have a melon baller that of course works great to create your melon ball. However, if you don’t have a melon baller you can use a measuring spoon. A teaspoon or a tablespoon depending on what size glass you’re putting your drink in work great.
You’ll want to cut your honeydew in half take the seeds out and then use your baller or spoon to carve out a couple balls of melon.
Fill your glass full of ice.
Use your jigger to measure 2 oz of Midori and add that to your glass over your ice.
Use your jigger to measure 1 oz of vodka and add that to your glass with your ice and midori.
Grab your orange juice and top your glass off with a couple ounces.
Now to mix everything together, take your glass dump everything into your Shaker and then take your Shaker and dump everything back to your glass.
Last up is your garnish. Take your melon ball that you made earlier, stick a cocktail pick through it and place it across the top of your glass.
Your drink is now ready to enjoy!
Melon Ball Drink
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- shot glass (for shot version)
- Rocks glass (for cocktail version)
- 4″ cocktail pick (cocktail only)
- 2 oz Midori (double for cocktail or add more OJ)
- 1 oz Vodka (double for cocktail or add more OJ)
- splash OJ (for cocktail add a few oz, or double Midori and Vodka)
- Melon Ball (garnish)
- Make your garnish:Cut a honeydew in half.Spoon out the seeds.Use a melon baller to scoop out a ball and stick a cocktail pick through it.If you don't have a melon baller, you can use a teaspoon or tablespoon that is an actual measuring spoon. Metal ones work best. Use it the same way as a melon baller, scooping the spoon into the flesh of the melon to spoon out a ball.
- To make a shot:
- Get 2 oz of Midori by measuring it with your jigger. Dump into shot glass.
- Get 1 oz of Vodka by measuring it with your jigger. Dump into shot glass.
- Add a splash of OJ into shot glass.
- Pour shot glass contents into cocktail shaker and then back to shot glass to mix them together.
- To make a cocktail:
- You can either double the amount of Midori and Vodka, or you can add a few ounces of Orange Juice instead of just a splash.
- Fill your rocks glass with ice.
- Measure out 2 or 4 oz of Midori and pour into your rocks glass.
- Measure out 1 or 2 oz of Vodka and pour into your rocks glass.
- add either a splash of Orange juice (if using 4oz midori and 2 oz vodka) or top the glass off with a few ounces of Orange juice (if using 2 oz Midori and 1 oz vodka).
- Dump everything from your rocks glass into your shaker. And then from your shaker back to your rocks glass. This ensure everything mixes well.
- Add your melon ball garnish across the top of the glass.