Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
A pink panther drink is a dark pink almost reddish cocktail that is full of sweet fruity flavors. This one is perfect to whip up for your next poolside party or date night.
What is a Pink Panther Drink?
A pink panther drink is a combination of coconut rum, vodka, triple sec, peach schnapps, grenadine, orange juice and grapefruit juice. The resulting dark pink almost reddish cocktail is full of sweet, fruity and tropical flavors. It has a lot of sweet citrus as well as some peach and coconut undertones.
Vodka is a clear colored neutral tasting liquor that is made by fermenting and then distilling grains such as rye, wheat or even potatoes. It is typically used in cocktails where you want the other ingredient flavors to shine. Vodka typically is not really tasted or just adds a bit of an alcoholic bite.
Coconut rum is actually technically a liqueur and not a rum liquor. This is due to the fact that the added ingredients take the alcohol by volume down too low to be considered a true rum.
Coconut rum is made with Caribbean rum that is flavored with coconut sugar and other flavorings. It has a strong sweet and coconutty flavor.
Triple sec is a clear orange-flavored liqueur. It is made by infusing a neutral base spirit with orange peels.
When choosing an orange juice and grapefruit juice for this cocktail, the fresher the better. Additionally, choosing a pulp free juice is the best bet to maintain a smooth texture for your drink.
Peach schnapps is made by infusing plain schnapps with a very strong and sweet peach flavor. This drink is clear in color.
Grenadine is a bright red sugary syrup. It’s made from pomegranate. This syrup helps to add some sweetness to offset the citrus flavors in this cocktail as well is to mix in a reddish color for the drink.
Occasions to serve this drink
With its bright color and light fruity flavors, this drink is perfect for serving at a variety of different occasions including:
- Valentine’s Day
- date nights
- pool parties and barbecues
- 4th of July parties
Possible drink variations
Due to the fact that this is not a standardized drink, there are actually a wide variety of different recipes some even calling for different ingredients. If you’re looking for a few ways to change this one up try some of these out:
- Change out the coconut rum. If you’re not a big coconut fan, there are several variations of this cocktail that call for amaretto instead. Amaretto is a slightly sweet, slightly bitter nutty and spicy flavored liqueur that really works well with these other flavors. Nutty and spicy flavored liqueur that really works well with these other flavors.
- Substitute one of the juices. You can either double up on the orange juice or the grapefruit juice and leave one out. Or, you can add another tropical flavored juice such as pineapple juice in place of the orange juice or grapefruit.
- Use a flavored vodka. Using a citrus flavored vodka such as vodka citrone, Mandarin vodka or even grapefruit flavored vodka would be well suited for the flavors in this drink.
- Make it sparkling. Add a splash of lemon lime soda or club soda if you like a little fizz to your cocktails.
How to make this drink:
Though there’s nothing too difficult to do in making this drink, It does take seven different ingredients. Therefore, even though you don’t have to add a bunch of fancy garnishes, layering or glass rimming it does take about 5 to 8 minutes to mix this one up.
- 2.5 oz coconut rum
- 1 oz vodka
- .5 oz triple sec
- .5 oz peach schnapps
- .25 oz grenadine
- .25 oz Orange Juice
- .25 oz Grapefruit Juice
Get started by making sure you have everything gathered up including highball glass, jigger, cocktail shaker, Hawthorne strainer, ice, coconut rum, vodka, triple sec, peach schnapps, grenadine, orange juice and grapefruit juice.
Go ahead and grab both your highball glass and your cocktail shaker. Grab some ice and toss it into both the glass and the shaker until they are almost completely full.
Note: for the step by step instructions below, will be building this cocktail in the cocktail shaker. However, you can build it straight in the glass.
If you’re building it straight in the glass only feel your glass with ice. Measure your ingredients and dump them directly into the glass. When it comes time to mix everything up you can use either a bar spoon. Or, toss the contents of the glass into the empty cocktail shaker and from the shaker back into the glass.
Using your jigger measure out 2.5 oz of coconut rum and toss it into the shaker.
Using your jigger measure out 1 oz of vodka and toss it into the shaker.
Using your jigger measure out 0.5 oz of triple sec and toss it into the shaker.
Using your jigger measure out 0.5 oz of peach schnapps and toss it into the shaker.
Using your jigger measure out 0.25 oz of grenadine and toss it into the shaker.
Using your jigger measure out 0.25 oz of orange juice and toss it into the shaker.
Using your jigger measure out 0.25 oz of grapefruit juice and toss it into the shaker.
Place the top on your shaker and shake well. Shake for about 15 to 20 seconds or until the outside of the shaker becomes cold.
Pop the top off your shaker. Place your Hawthorne strainer over the top of the shaker and strain your drink from the shaker into your glass.
Pink Panther Drink
- highball glass
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- bar spoon
- 2.5 oz Coconut Rum
- 1 oz Vodka
- .5 oz Triple Sec
- .5 oz Peach Schnapps
- .25 oz Grenadine
- .25 oz Orange Juice
- .25 oz Grapefruit Juice
- After collecting everything needed to make the drink, toss some ice into your shaker and highball glass. Both should be filled to the top.
- Measure out 2.5 oz of Coconut rum with the jigger. Pour it into the shaker.
- Measure out 1 oz of vodka with the jigger. Pour it into the shaker
- Measure out .5 oz of triple sec with the jigger. Pour it into the shaker
- Measure out .5 oz of peach schnapps with the jigger. Pour it into the shaker
- Measure out .25 oz of grenadine with the jigger. Pour it into the shaker
- Measure out .25 oz of orange juice with the jigger. Pour it into the shaker
- Measure out .25 oz of grapefruit juice with the jigger. Pour it into the shaker.
- Put the shaker top on and shake well. Typically this takes about 15 seconds.
- Replace the shaker top with a hawthorne strainer. Pour the drink from the shaker into the glass.
- Don’t add ice to the shaker.
- Pour all ingredients directly into the glass.
- To mix the drink:
- Either place a bar spoon in the glass and stir well. or:
- Carefully dump the contents of the glass into a shaker and then from the shaker back into the glass.