Is rum good with eggnog? Yes, rum and eggnog is a very tasty and common drink to make. It is a decadent and creamy cocktail perfect for winter holidays.
What is a Rum and Eggnog?
A rum and eggnog has the spicy flavor of the rum up front tempered by the creamy sweet flavor of the eggnog as it goes down. All you need to get this cocktail stirred up are the two simple ingredients of rum and eggnog.
What rum should be mixed with eggnog?
The fact is any rum can be used to mix with your eggnog. There are several different rums to choose from including spiced rum, dark rum, white rum and even coconut rum.
Two of the most popular rums to mix with your eggnog are dark or aged rum and spiced rum.
Dark rum is like it’s name implies eight dark colored rum. It is typically aged in oak barrels. This aging process creates a deeper more smoky flavor with hints of caramel and vanilla. As compared to the lighter sweeter flavor of a white rum.
Spiced rum is essentially a rum base that is thin flavored with different spices such as vanilla, clothes, ginger or cinnamon.
Can you mix rum with store-bought eggnog?
Yes, you can mix your rum with store-bought eggnog. In fact, you can use either store-bought or you can make your own eggnog to mix with your rum. Of course, you’re making your own it tends to be a little cheaper, but it will take a little more time.
What is the ratio of rum to eggnog?
For this recipe, we go a little heavy on the rum and make it a 1 to 2 ratio. However, you can make your rum and eggnog as strong or light as you want and you can increase or decrease that ratio for your taste.
How to make this drink:
This cocktail can be tossed together and as little as two minutes. You can also multiply the ingredients by 5 or 6 to create an entire pitcher of drinks.
- 2 oz Rum (white, dark or spiced)
- 4 oz Eggnog
- Cinnamon or Nutmeg
To get started, gather your highball glass, jigger, bar spoon, rum, eggnog and cinnamon or nutmeg.
Note: for these instructions we are going to simply mix our drink in our highball glass. However, if you want to use a cocktail shaker to make sure drink you can do this as well.
Go ahead and fill your highball glass almost to the top with ice.
Note: while We are using a highball glass for these instructions, you can use a rocks glass for this drink as well and it works perfectly.
First, take your jigger and measure 2 oz of your chosen rum with it. Then, dump the rum from your jigger over your ice in your highball glass.
Next, take your jigger again and measure 4 oz of eggnog with it. Slowly dump your eggnog from your jigger into your highball glass with your ice and rum.
Now, put your bar spoon into your glass and give everything several stirs. You want to make sure your rum and eggnog or thoroughly mixed together.
Grab either cinnamon or nutmeg and add a few dashes to the top of your cocktail. Your drink is now ready to enjoy!
Rum and Eggnog
- highball glass or rocks glass
- bar spoon
- Hawthorne strainer (optional)
- cocktail shaker (optional)
- 2 oz Rum
- 4 oz Eggnog
- nutmeg or cinnamon (optional garnish)
- Gather together the items you need in order to make your drink.Note: You can use a cocktail shaker to mix your drink or you can mix it straight in your glass. Mixing in the glass instructions are listed below.If you choose to use a cocktail shaker instead: fill it with ice, add your ingredients to the shaker, shake well, then use your hawthorne strainer to pour it into your glass.
- Fill your glass to the top with ice.Note: for this drink you can use either a highball or a rocks glass.
- Using your jigger, measure 2 oz of rum. Pour the rum into your glass.
- Using your jigger, measure 4 oz of eggnog. Pour the eggnog into your galss.
- Put your bar spoon into your glass and stir your drink together.
- Add a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg onto the top of your drink. Or, use a cinnamon stick to stir your drink together.