Looking for a classic sipper? Sit down and experience the tequila on the rocks. It really lets the pure essence of tequila shine through as it’s chilled through the ice, creating a drink that is refreshing and exhilarating. Take some slow sips to really appreciate the complexities of your favorite tequila.
🥃 What is a Tequila on the Rocks?
Tequila on the rocks is a great way to savor every bit of the tequila flavor. It’s simply a shot of tequila served in a rocks glass with ice. Oftentimes you’ll see it served with a garnish such as a lemon or lime wedge or an orange wheel.
The term on the rocks when mentioned for any cocktail or drink essentially just means that the liquor or liqueur is served with ice. This allows the full flavor of the individual liquor or liqueur to really stand out and be enjoyed.
Serving a liquor with ice allows it to get chilled. It also allows it to become slightly diluted as the ice melts. A few other popular on the rocks drinks are: vodka on the rocks, gin on the rocks and baileys on the rocks.
Since tequila is the only ingredient and therefore the star of the show, it’s important to use a high quality tequila when drinking it this way. However, you can use any tequila variety you prefer from silver to gold to reposado.
And, if you still aren’t sure about trying your tequila this way, here are all the reasons you’ll love it:
- Couldn’t be easier. Seriously, what could be easier? All you have to do is put some ice in a glass and measure 2 oz of tequila into it.
- Take in all the flavor. Drinking your tequila this way allows you to really take in all the flavors in the drink. It allows you to really enjoy the pure taste of tequila.
- Serve anytime. This drink is classic, sophisticated and perfect for any occasion from casual to formal. You can really serve it at any time and to any crowd.
⭐ When to Make This Drink
This classic and easy to make drink is perfect for most any sipping occasion from formal to casual to everything in between. If you aren’t sure when to try it, think about a few of these occasions:
- Game night
- Cocktail hour
- After dinner drinks
Although there’s not much you can do when thinking about substitutions or changing this drink up since there’s literally only one ingredient, here are a few things you can try:
- Add a citrus twist. Give a little citrus twist to your drink by serving with a lemon or lime wedge and giving it a squeeze into the top of the glass before sipping.
- Make it salty. Give your glass a little salt rim by rubbing a lime wedge or a little simple syrup around the rim and then rolling the rim in salt.
- Dilute it. If the straight tequila is a little too strong, you can dilute it. Add a splash or to a water before you get to sipping.
- Try different varieties of tequila. There are a couple different varieties of tequila and each has its own flavor profile. Though as the base, all tequilas are made from the blue agave plant which has a little bit of sweetness and a little bit of spiciness. Try some of these different ones out:
- Silver or blanco tequila. This type of tequila is clear. It tends to have the lightest flavor as it is not typically aged. It also tends to have the strongest alcohol bite.
- Reposado tequila. This is a slightly darker or gold colored tequila. It is typically aged in an oak barrel for up to a year or so. It tends to have a smoother, sweeter flavor and less of a bite than silver tequila.
- Anejo tequila. This type of tequila is a dark gold color and it is typically aged in different types of wooden barrels for over a year. It has a much more complex flavor profile than the other two types. It is smooth, sweet and sometimes have undertones of flavor such as vanilla.
- 2 oz Tequila
- (optional) lime twist or wedge
Go ahead and grab everything you need including a lime wedge, tequila, rocks glass, ice and a jigger.
Grab the ice and toss it into the rocks glass. The glass should be filled up to the top.
Grab the tequila. Using the jigger, measure 2 oz.
Pick the jigger up and pour the tequila into the rocks glass with the ice.
If you’d like to add a lime wedge or other garnish now as the time to do so. Pick up your lime and cut it into slices.
Take one slice and cut a small notch in the pulp. Then, use that notch to secure it on the rim of the glass.
Tequila on the Rocks
- Rocks glass
- 2 oz Tequila
- Lime wedge or twist optional garnish
- Add enough ice to the glass so that it is filled completely to the top.
- If you want to add a garnish, get it ready now:1) Cut a lime into wedges. 2) Pick a wedge and slice a notch in the pulp.3) Pop the lime wedge on the rim of the glass.
- Take the tequila and the jigger.
- Use the jigger and measure 2 oz of tequila.
- Toss the tequila into the glass.
- Give your drink a few swirls, then enjoy!