Can you put whiskey and hot chocolate? Well, yes you can! Warm up with this comforting and sweet whiskey hot chocolate. This cocktail is a decadent and combines of velvety richness of hot chocolate with a little kick of whiskey.
🍫 What is a Whiskey Hot Chocolate?
A whiskey hot chocolate is a nice combination of one hot chocolate with a shot of whiskey added in. This hot cocktail tastes like rich dark chocolate finished by hint of caramel.
With only two ingredients, this drink is super easy to make. You should be able to start this one up and just about 5 minutes. Unless, you decide to make your own hot chocolate from scratch.
Here are a few reasons you’ll love this drink:
- It’s a cozy treat. The combination of sweet hot chocolate with a little bit of whiskey will warm you from the inside out.
- So easy. This one is super easy to make All you have to do is toss your whiskey into your hot chocolate.
- Great for whiskey Lovers. If you are a whiskey aficionado, then you must try this one since it showcases the nice, smooth caramel flavor.
⭐ When to Make This Drink:
Not sure when to warm this one up? Here are a few times you could think about making it:
- chilly evenings
- winter holidays
- by a bonfire
- New Year’s Eve
If you’re looking for a few substitutions or ingredient changes, here are a few things you can try out:
- Make it dairy-free. Use an oatmeal hot chocolate or other dairy-free hot chocolate if you would like to make this without milk products.
- Use a flavored hot chocolate. Lamp the flavor in this drink by using a flavored hot chocolate like an orange hot chocolate or even a butterfinger hot chocolate.
- Use homemade hot chocolate. For this recipe, we used an instant hot chocolate to make this super fast. However, you can whip up your own batch of hot chocolate pretty easily and make it as creamy and rich as you want.
- Use peanut butter whiskey. If you love peanut butter and hot chocolate, then use peanut butter whiskey in this drink.
- 6 oz Hot Chocolate – We like to use instant dark hot chocolate. However, you can use any kind of instant hot chocolate or make your own.
- 2 oz Whiskey – The whiskey is what adds the alcohol content to this drink. You can use any type of whiskey from Tennessee whiskey to bourbon. We prefer to use Jameson’s Irish whiskey in this drink.
- Whipped cream (optional garnish)
Gather together everything you need for this drink including hot chocolate mix, Jameson’s Irish whiskey, whipped cream, jigger, bar spoon and mug.
Make your hot chocolate. You can either do this in the microwave but instant hot chocolate or on the stove top. We like to use instant hot chocolate for this so that it’s quick and easy. Just follow the instructions on the box.
Measure out 2 oz of whiskey with the jigger and toss it into the bottom of the mug.
Measure out 6 oz of hot chocolate with a jigger. Toss that into the mug.
Alternatively, you can simply pour hot chocolate directly into the mug until the mug is topped off.
If desired, use a bar spoon to stir the drink together. And, then at a large dollop of whipped cream to the top.
Whiskey Hot Chocolate
- bar spoon optional
- 2 oz Whiskey
- 6 oz Hot chocolate
- Whip up a cup of hot chocolate. You can use instant mix or make your own.
- Pick up the whiskey. Measure 2 oz of whiskey with the jigger. Add the whiskey to a mug.
- Pick up the hot chocolate. Measure 6 oz of hot chocolate with the jigger or a measuring cup. Add the hot chocolate to a mug.Pro tip: you an also just top the mug off with hot chocolate instead of measuring it out.
- Squirt a large dollop of whipped cream on top of the drink.