Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
This amaretto and hot chocolate is a heavenly blend of sweet, rich hot chocolate and nutty amaretto. This deliciously decadent drink is cozy and indulgent. It’s a perfect sipper for cool winter holidays.
🍫 What is a Amaretto Hot Chocolate?
An amaretto and hot chocolate is delicious blend of a mug full of hot chocolate with an added shot of amaretto all stirred together. This warm cocktail tastes like rich creamy chocolate covered cherries with a little nutty flavor added in.
This drink is super easy to make. Since you only need two ingredients and a little stirring. Simply toss everything in your mug and you’re good to go in about 5 minutes. The only thing that takes a while is making the hot chocolate.
As if you needed any more reasons to start making this cocktail, here are a few reasons you’re sure to love it:
- Nutty and indulgent – be nice nutty flavors of the amaretto combined perfectly with the rich taste of the hot chocolate.
- Warm on a cold day. This drink is sure to warm you up from the inside out. It’s perfect for cool weather sipping.
- Super easy. This one can be stirred up in about 5 minutes. Especially if you use instant hot chocolate instead of making it from scratch.
⭐ When to Make This Drink
It’s warm, chocolatey and nutty drink should be served at sweet occasions including:
- Valentine’s Day
- chilly nights
- winter parties
- fall celebrations
If you’re looking for a few flavor variations or ingredients substitutions, here’s a list of things to try:
- Add more garnishes. Ramp up the deck ends of this drink by adding many marshmallows, chocolate syrup and mini chocolate chips to the top.
- Use dairy-free hot chocolate. Instead of using dairy-based hot chocolate go dairy-free with something like oatmeal hot chocolate.
- Try flavored hot chocolate. Add some extra flavor to this drink by using a flavored hot chocolate like Oreo hot chocolate or orange hot chocolate.
- 6 oz Hot Chocolate – We like to use dark chocolate made from instant hot chocolate mix. But, you can use any type of hot chocolate you prefer or even make your own.
- 2 oz Amaretto – this is an Italian liqueur that has a bitter, light nutty flavor with also undertones of cherry.
- Whipped cream (optional garnish)
Get together everything for this cocktail including whipped cream, amaretto, hot chocolate, jigger, bar spoon and mug.
Make your hot chocolate. Either follow the instructions on the back of the instant hot chocolate box or, use your favorite hot chocolate recipe to whip up a batch.
Pour 2 oz of amaretto into the jigger. Then, add it to the mug.
Pour 6 oz of hot chocolate into the jigger. Then, add it to the mug.
Instead of measuring the hot chocolate, you can also pour it directly into the mug to top the mug off.
Take your bar spoon and stir the ingredients together well. Then, squirt some whipped cream on top of the drink.
Amaretto Hot Chocolate
- bar spoon
- 6 oz Hot Chocolate
- 2 oz Amaretto
- Whipped Cream optional garnish
- Make some hot chocolate – you can either use instant hot chocolate or make your own.
- Pour 6 – 8 oz of hot chocolate into the mug.
- Add 2 oz of Amaretto by measuring it out with the jigger and then pouring it into the mug.
- If you want, give the drink a few stirs with the bar spoon.
- Add an optional garnish, if desired, by squirting a large dollop of whipped cream on top.