Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Try out this brass monkey drink if you are looking for a refreshing brightly colored cocktail. This drink is perfect for sipping in the summer.
What is a Brass Monkey Drink?
A brass monkey drink is a combination of dark rum, orange juice and vodka. It is full of sweet and tangy citrus flavor from the orange juice and a large punch of dark rum as it goes down.
It actually was popularized as a premixed cocktail sold starting in the ’70s. You may be familiar with it due to the Beastie boys song with the same name.
Though the pre-mixed version of this drink is no longer made, you can still whip one up on your own if you want. Do note that there are varying ingredients and ratios used in different recipes for this drink as it is not a standard IBA drink.
Orange juice, of course, is a sweet and slightly tangy or tart citrus juice. It is best to use pulp free, fresh orange juice and not one with any other fruit flavors or made from concentrate.
Vodka is a clear liquor that is made by distilling fermented grains such as rye or even potatoes. It is known for having a rather neutral or almost tasteless flavor which makes most drinks it is added to keep the other flavors as they’re highlights.
Dark rum is a rum which is aged this contributes to its darker appearance. It tends to have a very strong flavor profile that is both smokey and sweet with hints of spices.
When to make this drink
With its bright color and refreshing sweet flavor this cocktail works well for many occasions such as:
- beach days
- pool parties
- spring and summer get togethers
How to make this drink:
With three simple and easy to find ingredients this drink is super easy to mix up. You only need 3 minutes and you can have it ready to go.
- 1 oz Dark Rum
- 1 oz Vodka
- 4 oz Orange Juice
As you get started make sure you have everything you need to mix the drink including a rocks glass, jigger, cocktail shaker, orange juice, dark rum, ice and vodka.
Go ahead and fill your rocks glass with ice.
note: Instead of mixing this drink in your glass you could also mix it in your cocktail shaker.
To use your cocktail shaker you should fill it with ice, measure your ingredients straight to the shaker, put the top on the shaker and shake it well. Then, strain your drink into the glass.
Grab up your vodka and your jigger. Measure 1 oz of vodka with the jigger. Pour the vodka into your rocks glass.
Grab up your dark rum and jigger. Measure 1 ounce of dark rum with your jigger. Pour the dark rum into your rocks glass with your vodka.
Grab your orange juice and jigger. Measure 4 oz of orange juice with your jigger. Pour the orange juice into your rocks glass with the vodka and dark rum.
note: If you prefer you can skip measuring the orange juice and simply pour it straight in the glass to top it off.
to make sure drink up, carefully pour All the contents of the glass into your shaker and then pour from your shaker back into the glass.
Brass Monkey Drink
- cocktail shaker
- Hawthorne strainer
- Rocks glass
- 1 oz Dark Rum
- 1 oz Vodka
- 4 oz Orange Juice pulp free is best
- Get everything you need to make your drink gathered up.
- Fill your rocks glass with ice.
- Use your jigger to measure 1 oz of Vodka. Toss the vodka into your rocks glass.
- Use your jigger to measure 1 oz of dark rum. Toss the dark rum into your rocks glass.
- Use your jigger to measure 4 oz of orange juice. Toss the orange juice into your rocks glass.note: instead of measuring the OJ, you can simply top the glass off with it if you prefer.
- Toss the contents from the rocks glass into your cocktail shaker and then from the shaker back into the glass.
- Fill your shaker with ice in addition to the rocks glass.
- Add your rum, vodka and OJ directly to the shaker.
- Put the top on the shaker and shake it up for 15 – 20 seconds.
- Remove the top and add the strainer and then pour into the rocks glass.