Dive right into tropical paradise with this 2 in 1 cocktail. The Miami vice drink combines a strawberry daiquiri with a pina colada. This vibrant and refreshing frozen drink will whisk you away on a tropical getaway.
🍹What is a Miami Vice Drink?
A Miami vice drink is a classic frozen cocktail made from a blend of strawberry daiquiri layered with pina colada. You will need strawberries, lime juice and rum for the strawberry daiquiri part. And, pineapples, simple syrup, rum and cream of coconut for the pina colada part.
These two separate frozen drinks are then layered and combined in one single glass creating a visually stunning cocktail that is full of bright red and creamy yellow colors. It is delicious, sweet, fruity and packed full of tropical flavor.
Though you might think that this cocktail would be named after the ’80s show with the same name, it’s unlikely since this drink is thought to have been made prior to the start of the show. It is likely though that it was named after the city of Miami or Miami Beach where it was originated at Beach bars and nightclubs.
If you’re wondering why this recipe is a must try, here are a few reasons:
- Refreshing. This is a refreshing frozen drink. It is made with ice and frozen fruit so it is extremely cold and slushy, perfect for a hot summer day. Additionally, the light sweet fruit flavors provide a nice refreshing zing.
- Fancy, but easy. The fancy layered look of the drink adds a showstopping centerpiece to any get together. This drink is sure to impress your guests and be the star of the show. However, it’s not too difficult to make.
- Tropical taste. You don’t get much more tropical than this creamy and sweet blend of strawberry and coconut. It’s the perfect combination of tropical fruit flavors that will make you feel like you’re on vacation with every sip.
⭐ When to Make This Drink
This pretty, tropical drink is well suited for a variety of different celebrations and warm weather gatherings including:
- Barbecues or picnics
- Beach days
- 4th of July parties
- Pool parties
If you’re looking for a few flavor modifications or ingredient substitutions, here are some ideas to consider:
- Use pineapple juice. You can certainly substitute the frozen pineapple for pineapple juice. In fact, that is a common ingredient in many recipes for the drink. We like to use the frozen pineapple because it gives it a smoother less icy taste.
- Substitute the rum. We like to use a white rum in this recipe because it is a lighter flavor and lets the other ingredients shine through. However, you could certainly use a coconut rum or flavored rum instead.
- Skip the ice. Using frozen strawberries and frozen pineapple allows you to cut down on the ice or potentially cut it out altogether. This helps to create a smoother less watered down drink.
- Make a mocktail. It’s really simple to make this a non-alcoholic or virgin drink. Simply Skip the rum all together and make a virgin strawberry daquiri and a virgin pina colada.
- Make it more tropical. Add a little bit of banana to the pina colada layer for even more tropical fruit flavor that will be reminiscent of a frozen banana daquiri.
- Garnish it up. Add some pineapple wedges and or strawberries to the rim of this drink to ramp up the visual appeal.
- Make it faster. Use a strawberry daiquiri mix and a pina colada mix so that you have even less ingredients to add.
- 2 oz Rum
- 1 cup Strawberries
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- .5 oz Simple syrup
- 2 oz Cream of coconut
- 1 cup of pineapple
- 2 cups Ice
You’ll first want to make sure you have everything gathered up including a blender, a regular glass, hurricane glass, measuring cup, a jigger, frozen strawberries, frozen pineapple, cream of coconut, simple syrup, white rum, lime juice and ice.
Start by making the strawberry daiquiri mix. Add 1 cup of ice to the blender.
Measure out 1 oz of lime juice and add that to the blender.
Measure out 1 oz of white rum and add that to the blender.
Measure out one cup of frozen strawberries and add those to the blender.
Next you want to blend everything together. The time and setting will vary dependent on what your blender is.
For our blender, a smoothie setting for a few minutes works well. Essentially, you want everything well blended and smooth but not liquefied.
Pour the strawberry daiquiri mix from the blender into a separate glass. Then, clean the blender out as you get ready for the next layer.
Now, you want to make the pina colada. Start out by measuring one cup of ice and adding it to the clean blender.
Measure out .5 oz of simple syrup and add it to the blender.
Measure up 1 oz of rum and add it to the blender.
Take one cup of frozen pineapple and add it to the blender.
Take 2 oz of cream of coconut and add it to the blender as well.
Now you want to get this all mixed together. Again, blender settings and times will vary dependent on your blender.
We like to use a smoothie setting for a few minutes. You want to make sure everything is well mixed and smooth but not liquefied.
Finally, you’re going to lay your drink together. Pour a layer of strawberry daiquiri into your hurricane glass. Then add a layer of pina colada mix.
Continue these layers until the glass is filled to the top.
Alternatively, you can layer one in each side of the glass or an entire half and strawberry daiquiri and an entire half and pina colada.
Miami Vice Drink
- bar spoon
- Hurricane glass
- highball glass
- 2 oz Rum
- 1 cup Strawberries
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- .5 oz Simple Syrup
- 2 oz Cream of Coconut
- 1 cup Pineapple
- 2 cups Ice
Make the strawberry daquiri part
- Add 1 cup of ice to the blender.2 oz Rum1 cup Strawberries1 oz Lime Juice.5 oz Simple syrup2 oz Cream of coconut1 cup of pineapple2 cups Ice
- Measure out 1 oz of white rum and add to the blender.
- Add 1 cup of strawberries to the blender.
- Add 1 oz of lime juice to the blender.
- Blend your mixture up. Speeds and times will vary by blender. We use a smoothie setting for a few minutes. You want it to be well blended, but not liquified.
- Pour the mixture into a cup to hold it until you are ready to mix it. Then, clean the blender out.
Make the Pina colada part
- Add 1 cup of ice to the blender.
- Measure 1 oz of white rum and add to the blender.
- Add .5 oz of simple syrup to the blender
- Add 2 oz of Cream of coconut to the blender.
- Add 1 cup of pineapple to the blender.
- Blend this again until it is well mixed and a slushy mix. We use a smoothie setting for a few minutes, but this will vary by blender.
Make your final drink
- Now, you want to pour your strawberry daquiri mix together into a glass with the pina colada mix. You can do this by alternating layers, or by putting them each in the left and right halves of the glass.