Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Can you mix apple cider and gin? You absolutely can! A gin and apple cider is an easy to make perfect cocktail for winter and fall occasions.
What is a gin and apple cider?
A gin and apple cider is an easy to make a cocktail that has the botanical flavors of gin combined with the light apple flavor of apple cider. This interesting combination may not seem on the surface like it would go well together, but it really does.
Gin is a clear liquor that is made from juniper berries. The juniper imparts a strong pine like flavor. Different gins have additional other flavors added such as cardamom, coriander, almond, licorice or citrus.
Apple cider is very similar to apple juice. The main differences are that cider is unsweetened, unpasteurized, unfiltered and raw. This lends to a slightly thicker drink with a slightly lighter flavor.
Apple cider can be served either cold or warmed. And it can be served to either temperature for this cocktail. If you’re serving it on a cooler day warming it up can really hit the spot.
When to mix it up
Seeing as how simple this cocktail is to make it’s perfect for many different occasions. Here are just a few to try it at:
- Thanksgiving dinner
- Fall celebrations
- Winter holidays
- Cool winter or fall nights
- Halloween parties
How to make this drink:
If you have just a few minutes, you can easily stir this cocktail up. It only uses two simple ingredients with no elaborate glass rims or layering needed. It can also be multiplied easily to create a pitcher or punch bowl full.
- 2 oz Gin
- 4 oz Apple Cider
- Cinnamon or Nutmeg or Apple slice
When you get started you want to first make sure you have everything you need to make your drink. This should include a glass, jigger, bar spoon, gin, apple cider and ice. Additionally, if you’re using a garnish you’ll want to get that together as well.
Note: for this cocktail it’s fine to use either a rocks glass or a highball glass. Both work well.
Pro tip: there are two ways to get this drink mixed up. The first is to use a cocktail shaker. The second is to mix it straighten your glass which we will detail in the step-by-step directions below
If you want to use a cocktail shaker instead, fill your cocktail shaker with ice to start. Then, pour in your gin and apple cider and shake It up. Finally, use your hawthorn strainer to pour your liquor from your shaker into your glass.
As you get started go ahead and fill your glass almost completely to the top with ice.
Using your jigger take your gin and measure 2 oz. Then, pour your gin from your jigger over your ice in your glass.
Using your jigger again take your apple cider and measure 4 oz. Then, pour your apple cider from your jigger over your ice in your glass with your gin.
Pro tip: due to the light flavor of the apple cider you may want to adjust the amount of gin you use. For this recipe we’ve used the typical 2 to 1 ratio. However, it does result in a strong gin flavor.
If you want to dial that gin flavor back a little bit you can either add an additional ounce of apple cider or take away an .5-1 ounces of gin.
Now, you need to get everything mixed up. To do this, use your bar spoon and mix your drink well.
Garnishes are optional for this cocktail. If you choose to use one a cinnamon stick works well. You can even use it to stir your drink.
If you want to use something other than a cinnamon stick you can either use ground cinnamon or nutmeg and sprinkle a little on the top or around the rim. Or, you can cut a slice of apple and place it on the rim of your glass.
Gin and Apple Cider
- bar spoon
- highball glass or rocks glass
- Hawthorne strainer (optional)
- cocktail shaker (optional)
- 2 oz gin
- 4 oz apple cider
- cinnamon stick or apple slice (optional garnish)
- Grab your ingredients and supplies to get ready to make your drink.Note: you can mix this cocktail straight in the glass or in a cocktail shaker. Glass mixing instructions are in the step by step directions below.Cocktail shaker mixing: Take your shaker and fill it with ice.Measure your ingredients and toss them in your shaker.Put the top on your shaker and shake it well.Put the hawthorne strainer on your shaker and pour your drink into your glass.
- Take your glass and fill it almost to the top with ice.Note: for this cocktail you can use either a rocks glass or a highball glass.
- Take your gin and your jigger. Use your jigger to measure 2 oz of gin and pour it into your glass.
- Take your apple cider and your jigger. Use your jigger to measure 4 oz of apple cider and pour it into your glass.
- Take your bar spoon and use it to stir your ingredient together well.
- If you want to add an optional garnish, you can pop a cinnamon stick into the side of your glass.