Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
This cactus juice drink is a brightly colored yellow-ish green cocktail. It’s super easy to shake up and has a light, refreshing fruity flavor.
What is a Cactus Juice Drink?
A cactus juice drink is made of coconut rum, vodka, Midori, pineapple juice and club soda. The resulting greenish yellow cocktail is light, fizzy and has a pineapple melon flavor. It is a perfect summer drink.
Coconut rum is actually considered a liqueur and not a true rum. This is due to the fact that after adding in coconut, sugar and other additives to rum the resulting liqueur is a lower alcohol by volume.
The vodka in the strength really just adds a slight alcoholic bite. Vodka is a clear liquor that is very neutral flavored.
When choosing a pineapple juice to use in this cocktail, it’s best to get a 100% pineapple juice and not a juice that is a cocktail. This will help to really have the tangy yet sweet pure pineapple flavor. The yellow color of the pineapple juice is a big part of the color of this cocktail.
Midori is a bright neon green colored liqueur. It really is a contributor to the color of this cocktail. Midori is a sweet melon flavored liqueur made from honeydew and Yubari melons that originated in Japan.
Occasions for this drink
With its bright color and light busy flavor this drink is perfect for serving at times such as:
- spring or summer get togethers
- pool or beach days
- St Patrick’s Day
If you’re looking for a few ways to change this drink up, try one of these out:
- Use a flavored vodka. Amp up one of the flavors already in this drink by using a flavored vodka such as pineapple vodka or coconut vodka.
- Add DeKuyper cactus juice schnapps. This schnapps is a green color which will add to the bright color of this cocktail and it has a margarita-like flavor.
Note: there are actually two cocktails with this same name. The other cactus juice cocktail is made with completely different ingredients. It is made from 1 oz of tequila and .5 oz of amaretto sometimes with a sour mix added in.
How to make this drink:
This drink is relatively easy to shake up. With five ingredients, it takes around 5 minutes to get this one ready to drink.
- .75 oz midori
- .75 oz coconut rum
- .75 oz vodka
- 2.5 oz pineapple juice
- top club soda
Gather everything you need to mix this cocktail up including highball glass, jigger, bar spoon or cocktail shaker, Midori, coconut rum, vodka, pineapple juice, ice and club soda.
Toss a couple handfuls of ice into your highball glass. The highball glass should be almost completely full of ice.
Note: for the instructions below, we’ll be building this drink directly in the glass. This is the recommended way to make this drink, however, if you prefer to build it in your cocktail shaker you can.
If you’re building this drink in the shaker, first fill it with ice. Then, pour all the ingredients straight into the shaker. When you get to the club soda add 1 to 2 oz. Put the top on your shaker and shake carefully so that the club soda does not fizz too much. Then strain your drink into your glass.
Pick up your pineapple juice and jigger. Use the jigger and measure 2.5 oz of pineapple juice. Toss that into the glass.
Pick up your Midori and jigger. Use the jigger and measure 0.75 oz of Midori. Toss that into the glass.
Pick up the coconut rum and jigger. Use the jigger and measure 0.75 oz of coconut rum. Toss that into the glass.
Pick up the vodka and jigger. Use a jigger and measure 0.75 oz of vodka. Toss that into the glass.
Pick up the club soda. Pour it directly into the glass until the glass is almost topped off. This should be around 1 to 2 oz.
There are two options for getting this drink mixed together. You can either do it in the glass or with the shaker.
To do it in the glass, grab your bar spoon and insert it into the glass. Then, give everything a couple good stirs.
To do it with a shaker, carefully toss all of the contents of the glass into the shaker and then from the shaker back into the glass.
- highball glass
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- bar spoon
- .75 oz Midori
- .75 oz Coconut Rum
- .75 oz Vodka
- 2.5 oz Pineapple Juice
- top Club Soda
- Fill your glass up with ice. It should be about full with ice.
- Measure .75 oz of midori with the jigger. Dump it into the glass.
- Measure .75 oz of coconut rum with the jigger. Dump it into the glass.
- Measure .75 oz of vodka with the jigger. Dump it into the glass.
- Measure 2.5 oz of pineapple juice with the jigger. Dump it into the glass.
- Take the club soda and pour it directly into the glass to top the drink off.
- There are two ways to mix this one up:1) stick a bar spoon in the glass and stir well.2) Carefully toss the contents of the drink from the glass to the shaker and then back into the glass.
- Also fill the shaker with ice.
- Pour all ingredients into the shaker.
- Cover the shaker with the lid
- Shake well until it is cold on the outside.
- Take the shaker lid off and put the strainer over the shaker.
- Pour drink into the glass.