Dive into the depths of the blue water with this coconut flavored sonic copycat ocean water drink. This sweet and tropical beverage is full of bubbles and blue color. It’s like sipping on paradise in a glass and is sure to transport you away to crystal clear waters and sandy beaches.
🍹 What is a Ocean Water Drink?
An ocean water drink is a bright blue beverage that is a combination of non-alcoholic blue curacao, coconut simple syrup and Sprite. This super easy three ingredient drink is a copycat recipe from Sonic’s famous ocean water beverage. This one tastes sweet and fizzy with strong citrus and coconut flavors.
This fun copycat recipe will make you feel like you’ve ordered up your favorite drink from the Sonic drive-thru. Here are a few reasons why you are going to want to try it:
- Super refreshing. This drink has a nice fizzy, light flavor. It’s got a delightful burst of coconut as well with each sip. It’s a perfectly refreshing drink to have on a warm day.
- So easy to make. You only need three simple ingredients to whip this one together. Additionally, you don’t have to do anything fancy to make it. Simply toss your ingredients in a glass and stir them together.
- Tantalizingly tropical. With sweet hints of coconut and citrus, this beverage is like a tropical staycation. It’s so tasty and will have you feeling like you’re sitting on a sandy beach.
⭐ When to Make This Drink
This drink is super versatile and it’s great to serve at most any time. Here are just a few of the suggested times you might want to serve this one up:
- Beach parties
- Pool gatherings
- Cookouts or barbecues
If you’re looking for a few possible variations on this drink, check these ideas out:
- Substitute for the blue curacao. If you don’t have any blue curacao, you can certainly add in a few drops of food coloring instead.
- Skip the coconut simple syrup. If you don’t have coconut simple syrup ready to go or you don’t want to make or buy any you can use a few drops of coconut extract instead. One teaspoon should do it to give you a nice coconut flavor. If you go this route, you might also want to add in a tablespoon or set of sugar to make sure that you have a nice sweet drink.
- Make it ahead. If you want to prepare this in advance for a party or get together you certainly can. Don’t want to make it more than two or three days in advance though.
- Make it for a crowd. This is super easy to make it a large batch for a crowd. Simply multiply the ingredients by five times each and serve this up in a large pitcher.
- 1 oz Coconut simple syrup (if you need to make it – 1 cup shredded coconut, 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar)
- .5 oz non-alcoholic Blue Curacao
- 6 oz of Sprite
Get this drink started by gathering together your highball glass, ice, coconut simple syrup, non-alcoholic blue curaçao, jigger, Sprite and bar spoon.
Grab up the ice and toss it into the glass so that it is filled up to the top.
Measure 1 oz of coconut simple syrup. Throw that into the glass.
Measure out 0.5 oz of non-alcoholic blue curacao. Throw that into the glass with the coconut simple syrup.
Take your bottle of Sprite and pour it directly into the glass. You should fill the glass up to the top. This will take around 5 or 6 oz.
Grab your bar soon and place it into the glass. Stir everything well so that it is thoroughly mixed.
Ocean Water Drink
- bar spoon
- cocktail shaker optional
- Hawthorne strainer optional
- highball glass
- pot if needed to make coconut simple syrup
- 1 oz Coconut Simple Syrup
- .5 oz Non-alcoholic blue curacao
- 6 oz Sprite
Coconut Simple Syrup
- If you need to make this from scratch, here are the instructions. If you want to skip making this, you can simply add a few drops of coconut extract as detailed in the notes and variation section below.
- Take 1 cup of shredded coconut and add it to a saucepan.
- Take 1 cup of sugar and add it to the saucepan.
- Take 1 cup of water and add it to the saucepan.
- Simmer the mixture at medium high heat for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Stir frequently during heating.
- Remove from the heat and strain the syrup to remove large pieces of coconut.
- Place it into the refrigerator to cool.
Ocean Water Drink
- Fill up a highball glass to the brim with ice.
- Measure .5 oz of non-alcoholic blue curacao with the jigger. Add the blue curacao to the glass.*if you don't have a jigger, see notes below for amounts in cups and tbs
- Measure 1 oz of coconut simple syrup with the jigger. Add the coconut simple syrup to the glass.
- Measure 6 oz of sprite with the jigger. Add the sprite to the glass.Pro tip: instead of measuring the sprite, simply pour it directly into the glass until the glass is filled up.
- Take the bar spoon and give your drink a few good stirs to mix it all together.
- ¾ cup of sprite
- 2 tbs of coconut simple syrup
- 1 tbs of non-alcoholic blue curacao
- skip the blue curacao and add a few drops of blue food coloring for the blue color.
- skip the coconut simple syrup and add a few drops of coconut extract instead.
- Use a diet or sugar free sprite.
- Use a different lemon-lime soda.
- Ramp up the coconut flavor by adding up to 2 oz of coconut simple syrup and dialing the sprite back a little.