Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
This bright pink tropical, sweet passion fruit margarita is a perfect cocktail to serve at your next get together. Serve this one up during spring and summer time and you are sure to dazzle your guests.
What is a Passion Fruit Margarita?
A passion fruit margarita is a combination of tequila, triple sec, lime juice, simple syrup and passion fruit liqueur. This pretty pink cocktail has a really smooth sweet and sour citrus flavor with a burst of tropical passion fruit at the end.
This cocktail is a fun flavored twist on the classic margarita. A classic margarita is a combination of tequila, triple sec, lime juice and simple syrup. This has the nice passion fruit flavor added in.
The passion fruit liqueur adds the pretty reddish pink color to the cocktail. It has a sweet, tropical passion fruit flavor. It adds around 20% alcohol by volume. We like to use the brand passoa. But you can use any passion fruit liqueur you prefer. Passion fruit is a common flavor for cocktails such as this passion fruit daquiri.
For the simple syrup and lime juice, you can use a store-bought or homemade. To make your own simple syrup it’s really easy just boil together water and sugar. Home squeezed lime juice tends to have a little more of a tart, fresh flavor.
Triple sec is a clear orange flavored liqueur. It helps to add some of the citrus flavor to this drink.
The best tequila for this drink is a silver tequila. It has a clear color and lighter flavor than other tequila’s like gold tequila. Any brand will do quite well as the other flavors in this drink dominate. We like to use patron or 1800.
When to Make This Drink:
This fruity and tropical drink is perfect for serving up during times like:
- pool and beach days
- spring or summer get togethers
Looking to keep the flavor of this drink, but substitute some of the ingredients? Give these ideas a try:
- Use passion fruit juice. Instead of using passion fruit liqueur, dial the alcohol content down a little and use passion fruit juice.
- Muddle your passion fruit. Get a more fresh true passion fruit flavor by muddling passion fruit in the cocktail shaker for this drink.
- Use flavored simple syrup. Use a lime flavored simple syrup, an orange layer example syrup or a passion fruit simple syrup to capitalize on the other flavors in this drink.
- Use a different orange liqueur. Substitute the triple sec for Cointreau or Grand Marnier as they are all equally good orange liqueurs.
- Make it frozen. Blend about a half a cup of ice in with the rest of the ingredients.
How to make this drink:
If you got 5 to 8 minutes and you can get this drink ready. Simply toss all your ingredients into a cocktail shaker and shake well.
- 2 oz Tequila
- 1 oz Triple sec
- 1 oz Lime juice
- .5 oz Simple syrup
- 1 oz Passion fruit liqueur
Gather up everything you need for this margarita including margarita glass, simple syrup, lime juice, tequila, triple sec, passion fruit liqueur, jigger, cocktail shaker, ice and Hawthorne strainer.
Use ice to fill out both the margarita gloss as well as the cocktail shaker.
Measure up 2 oz of tequila using the jigger. Then dump it into the shaker.
Measure up 1 oz of triple sec using the jigger. Then dump it into the shaker.
Measure up 1 oz of passion fruit liqueur using the jigger. Then dump it in the shaker.
Measure up 1 oz of lime juice using the jigger. Then dump it in the shaker.
Measure up 5 oz of simple syrup using a jigger. Then dump it in the shaker.
Cover the top of the shaker with its lid and shake everything together. After about 15 or 20 seconds to shaker will become cold.
Swimming for little bit of a shaker and place a hop on a strainer over top. Carefully strain your passion fruit margarita from the shaker into the margarita glass.
Passion Fruit Margarita
- cocktail shaker
- Hawthorne strainer
- Margarita glass
- 2 oz Tequila
- 1 oz Triple Sec
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- .5 oz Simple Syrup
- 1 oz Passion Fruit Liqueur
- Fill up both the margarita glass and the cocktail shaker with ice.
- Take the tequila and measure 2 oz with the jigger. Add the Tequila to the shaker.
- Take the triple sec and measure 1 oz with the jigger. Add the triple sec to the shaker.
- Take the lime juice and measure 1 oz with the jigger. Add the lime juice to the shaker.
- Take the simple syrup and measure .5 oz with the jigger. Add the simple syrup to the shaker.
- Take the passion fruit liqueur and measure 1 oz with the jigger. Add the passion fruit liqueur to the shaker.
- Grab the shaker lid and put it on the shaker.
- Shake it up for about 20 seconds or until the shaker gets cold.
- Take the shaker lid off and put the hawthorne strainer on the shaker.
- Strain the drink into the margarita glass.