Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Does vodka and orange soda go together? The answer is a sounding yes, vodka and orange soda is a perfect smooth cocktail that is super refreshing anytime.
What is a vodka and orange soda?
A vodka and orange soda is a simple two ingredient vodka cocktail that tastes pretty much just like orange soda but with the bite of vodka as the drink goes down. With how easy this one is to make you can make it as a single serving or make it in a large batch for parties.
Vodka is a liquor that is made from distilling grains such as wheat or rye, but sometimes potatoes are also used. The resulting liquor is clear and relatively tasteless except for a strong bite of alcohol as it goes down.
Orange soda is exactly what it sounds like, a busy carbonated soda water that is flavored with orange. There are several different brands of orange soda such as Fanta, Sunkist and crush.
While a plain vodka and store-bought orange soda is a super delicious drink, if you want to spice it up and make a few different variations here are a few to try.
- Make your own orange soda. Don’t want the added high fructose corn syrup and store-bought sodas? Make your own orange soda with orange juice and soda water. This results in a lighter less sweet cocktail.
- use vodka citron. To amp up the citrus flavor even more, use vodka citron instead of plain vodka.
- use whipped cream vodka. Love the flavor of creamsicle? Try out a whipped cream vodka to make a more decadent rich tasting drink. This will make it more like an orange creamsicle shot.
- use vanilla vodka. Try out vanilla vodka for a little more complex flavor added in.
When to mix it up
With how easy this drink is to make it works well for many different occasions. Here are a few you might want to try it for:
- summertime sipping
- summer barbecues
- 4th of July parties
- springtime celebrations
- large get togethers
How to make this drink:
With only two common ingredients, this cocktail is super easy to stir up. No need for any layering, garnishes or anything fancy for this drink.
- 2 oz Vodka
- 4 oz Orange Soda
Start out by making sure you have everything you need to mix this drink up. Gather up your vodka, orange soda, ice, bar spoon, jigger and highball glass.
Go ahead and fill your highball glass almost to the top with ice.
Take your jigger and your vodka and measure out 2 oz of vodka. Then, carefully pour the vodka into your highball glass.
Take your jigger and your orange soda and measure out 4 oz of orange soda. Then, carefully pour that orange soda into your highball glass with your vodka.
Note: as with most two ingredient highballs you can adopt the flavor to be what you like the most. This means that if you’d like a lower alcohol flavor you can add a smidge more orange soda or if you really want to taste the vodka more add a little less orange soda.
To finish things up you need to get everything mixed together. Use your bar spoon to carefully but thoroughly mix your drink together. Enjoy!
Vodka and Orange Soda
- bar spoon
- highball glass
- 2 oz vodka
- 4 oz orange soda
- Gather up your orange soda, jigger, vodka, glass and bar spoon.
- Take some ice and fill your highball glass almost totally to the top.
- Take your vodka and jigger. Measure up 2 oz of vodka and toss it into your glass.
- Take your orange soda and jigger. Measure up 4 oz of orange soda and toss it into your glass.Note: you can temper the vodka flavor by adding a little more orange soda to top off the glass if you want.
- Take your bar spoon and use it to gently combine your ingredients well.