Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
This Jamaican rum twist on a classic cocktail is sure to please. This one is a nice combination of refreshing spice and complex rum flavor.
🥃 What is a Jamaican Mule?
Jamaican mule is a combination of Jamaican rum, ginger beer, lime juice and is typically garnished with a sprig of mint. This spicy yet refreshing cocktail has a nice little hint of citrus as well.
If you have 5 minutes or less then you can easily get this drink whipped up. Simply dump your ingredients into the mug and enjoy.
This cocktail is similar to a dark and stormy, but has lime juice added in. It is really a twist on the classic Moscow mule. It just replaces the vodka in a Moscow mule for Jamaican rum.
Mule cocktails are typically built in a copper mug. Not only is the copper mug part of the traditional serving for the strength, but it also helps to keep the drink ice cold with its insulation.
Though this cocktail is usually served in a copper mug, don’t feel like you have to skip making it if you don’t have one. You can certainly serve this in other glassware such as a highball glass.
⭐ When to Make This Drink
This super spicy yet easy to make cocktail is well suited for serving at times such as:
- After dinner drinks
- Cocktail parties
- Winter celebrations
- Cocktail hour
Here a few ways to change up the flavors of this drink:
- Add a little sweetener. The Jamaican rum tends to have a very heavy flavor. Sweetness drink up with a little bit of simple syrup or capitalized on the ginger flavor by using a ginger simple syrup.
- Make it a flavored mule. Add a dash of pineapple juice or other tropical flavor that melts well with spiced rum to give this a fruity flavor.
- Fresh squeezed lime juice. Give your cocktail the freshest flavor by squeezing your own lime juice instead of buying it from the store.
- Copper Mug
- 2 oz Jamaican Rum
- 4 oz Ginger beer
- .5 oz Lime juice
- Top with mint leaves
Gather together all of the necessary equipment and ingredients for this drink including copper mug, jigger, lime juice, ice, ginger beer, spring of mint and Jamaican rum.
Toss some ice into the copper mug until it is filled up to the brim.
Pick up the lime juice. Measure out 0.5 oz of lime juice with a jigger and toss it into the mug.
Pick up the Jamaican rum. Measure out 2 oz of Jamaican rum with a jigger and toss it into the mug.
Pick up the ginger beer. Measure out 4 oz of ginger beer with a jigger and toss it into the mug.
Instead of measuring the ginger beer, you can simply pour it into the mug to top it off if desired.
Finally, drop the sprig of mint on top of the drink.
- Copper Mug
- 2 oz Jamaican Rum
- 4 oz Ginger Beer
- .5 oz Lime Juice
- top with Mint Leaves
- Grab up some ice and dump it into the copper mug. Mug should be almost completely filled with ice.
- Grab up the Jamaican rum and use the jigger to measure 2 oz of it. Pour the Jamaican rum into the mug.
- Grab up the lime juice and use the jigger to measure .4 oz of it. Pour the lime juice into the mug.
- Grab up the ginger beer and use the jigger to measure 4 oz of it. Pour the ginger beer into the mug.
- Take a few leaves of mint, or a single sprig and add it to the top of the drink. Enjoy!