If you’re looking for a fun and delicious brunch drink but aren’t into mimosas or a full bloody Mary, try out this red eye cocktail. This easy to make two ingredient cocktail is sure to have you coming back for more.
What is a Redeye Cocktail?
A red eye cocktail is a combination of tomato juice and lager beer. The resulting drink is bright red from the tomato juice and is perfect for sipping at your next brunch occasion.
You can either buy your tomato juice in the store or you can make your own tomato juice. Either way make sure to use it while it’s fresh and choose 100% tomato juice if you want that pure tomato flavor.
Lager beer, which is the most common beer used in this cocktail, tends to be a light and quite carbonated beer variation. There are different types of lager including dark and amber. It is one of the most popular types of beer. And though the different variations can have different flavors They are usually a little on the maltier side.
Occasions for this drink
This bright red, easy to make cocktail is perfect for many occasions including:
- hair of the dog
- sports get togethers
- after lunch drinks
Possible drink variations
If you’re looking for a few ways to spice this drink up, try one of these out:
- Change up the beer. Try out a new or different variation of lager. Or, you can choose an ale or stout if you so prefer.
- Try V8. Beat juice is tomato juice with other vegetable juices added in. It gives a little more of a robust flavor to this cocktail.
- Add some salt. Adding a couple punches of salt into this cocktail really helps to meld the flavors together.
- Add a lime twist. Adding a squeeze of lime into this cocktail also really helps to meld the flavors together.
- Spice it up. Put in a few dashes of a spice or sauce such as pepper, Worcestershire sauce or even soy sauce.
How to make this drink:
This super easy drink can be mixed up in two minutes or less. Simply toss your ingredients together and give it a good stir.
- 2 – 4 oz tomato juice
- 12 oz lager beer
Gather together all of the necessary items for this cocktail including highball glass or beer mug, jigger, bar spoon, beer, tomato juice.
This cocktail is best served chilled, so make sure that you have pre-chilled your beer and tomato juice if possible.
If using a beer mug, it’s nice to stick that in the freezer for a few minutes before getting started as well.
Grab your jigger and your tomato juice. Measure out 2 to 4 oz of tomato juice depending on how strong of a tomato flavor you prefer.
Then, toss your tomato juice directly into your glass.
Grab your beer and pop it open. Empty the contents of the entire beer directly into the glass with the tomato juice.
If you’d like to add any additional flavors or garnishes, now is the time to do so. The easiest and most impactful is a pinch or two of salt and a little squeeze of lime.
To make sure everything is well mixed, grab your bar spoon and give it a stir or two. Then, enjoy!
- bar spoon
- highball glass
- 2 – 4 oz Tomato Juice
- 12 oz Lager Beer
- Collect all of the listed equipment and ingredients for the drink.
- If you want a cool drink, make sure to have the ingredients in the refrigerator prior to getting started.
- Take your tomato juice and measure out 2 – 4 oz with the jigger. Dump that into the glass.
- Take your beer and open it. Pour it directly into the glass.
- Use a bar spoon to give it a few good stirs to make sure that it is well mixed.