Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you’re looking for a low alcohol cocktail that is easy to make try out this Kahlua and cream. This super simple two ingredient layered cocktail is sure to please.
What is a Kahlua and Cream?
A Kahlua and cream is a two-ingredient cocktail that is layered with Kahlua on bottom and heavy cream on top. This drink tastes like a thick and creamy iced coffee.
Layered drinks are essentially drinks where one ingredient sits on top of the other. This is possible due to liquids having different densities. In order to layer a drink properly, you need to pour each ingredient slowly on top of the other so that they do not mix together.
Kahlua is a coffee flavored liqueur. It is made from arabica coffee beans, rum and sugar. The resulting liqueur is a dark brown color.
Kahlua originated in Mexico in the 1930s. It has a strong coffee flavor with undertones of sugar, butter and chestnuts. (Source)
It is a lower alcohol content liqueur at around 16% alcohol by volume. And it is a relatively inexpensive liqueur ranging anywhere from $15 to $45 depending on where you get it and the size of the bottle.
Heavy cream is essentially the fat that sits on top of milk. It has a very thick, creamy and sweet flavor.
When to Make This Drink:
With it’s low alcohol content and the ease at which you can make this drink it is perfect for a variety of occasions including:
- after dinner drinks
- afternoon drinks
- casual get togethers
- drinks before dinner
With only two ingredients there isn’t much changing you can do to this drink, here are a few possible variations:
- Change up the amounts. For the recipe below we’ve used a one-to-one ratio. However, you can use a 2:1 ratio or you can simply multiply the ounces by 1 and ½ or two if you want a larger drink.
- Make a White Russian. If you add a little vodka to this drink you’ll have a White Russian.
- Make a sombrero. Substitute out the heavy cream for milk and you’ll have a sombrero drink.
Some similar Kahlua based cocktails are: the Colorado bulldog, the mudslide cocktail and the gorilla milk drink.
How to make this drink:
With only two ingredients necessary for this drink it is super easy to make. The drink can be put together in about 3 minutes. The longest part is layering the heavy cream.
- 1.5 oz Kahlua
- 1.5 oz Heavy cream
Start out by making sure you have everything you need including a rocks glass, jigger, bar spoon, Kahlua, heavy cream and ice.
Grab a handful of ice and fill your rocks glass almost to the top with it.
Grab your Kahlua and your jigger. Using your jigger, measure 1.5 oz of Kahlua and toss it into the rocks glass.
Grab your heavy cream and your jigger. Using your jigger, measure one and a half ounces of heavy cream.
To layer the heavy cream on top of the Kahlua you’ll use a bar spoon. Turn the bar spoon upside down in the glass just above the Kahlua.
Then, take your jigger and heavy cream and carefully and slowly pour it over the back of the bar spoon into the glass so that it sits on top of the Kahlua.
Kahlua and Cream
- Rocks glass
- bar spoon
- 1.5 oz Kahlua
- 1.5 oz Heavy Cream
- Gather together all the things you need in order to make this drink.
- Grab your rocks glass and toss ice in it. It should be almost up to the top of the glass.
- Grab your Kahlua and the jigger. Measure out 1.5 oz of Kahlua. Toss that into the glass over the ice.
- Grab your Heavy cream and the jigger. Measure out 1.5 oz of heavy cream.
- To layer the cream on top of the kahlua, place the bar spoon upside down just above the kahlua.
- Then, slowly pour the heavy cream over the back of the bar spoon into the glass.
Leave a Reply