Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Looking for a classic, easy and refreshing drink but want something a little different? Stir up this super easy bursting with berry flavor strawberry lemonade. This bright red and vibrant drink is the perfect touch of sweetness to a warm summer day. Pucker up and enjoy this refreshing zipper at your next pool party or other outside gathering.
🍹 What is a Strawberry Lemonade?
A strawberry lemonade is a little berry twist on an old classic drink. It’s a combination of strawberry simple syrup, lemon juice and water. The resulting beverage is a pretty red color and has a refreshing bright lemonade flavor with a little hint of strawberry mixed in.
Whether you’re lounging by the pool, celebrating with family at a cookout or barbecue or just want a refreshing and easy to sip drink this one should be your go-to. Looking for a few other reasons why you might want to whip this recipe up? Here are just a few to consider:
- Berries, berries and more berries. This drink is full of berry flavor. The added strawberries add a fruity sweetness that really levels up the taste profile of regular lemonade.
- Super refreshing. While plane lemonade itself is known to be the ultimate thirst quencher, adding in the sweetness of the strawberries really creates an even more refreshing blend. And, adding the strawberries add some extra vitamins and nutrients as well.
- Could hardly be easier. With only three ingredients necessary, all of which are relatively simple. I mean, one of them is water after all. All you have to do is set aside about 5 minutes of your day, toss all your ingredients in a glass and stir them up.
⭐ When to Make This Drink
You can really serve this delightful drink up at really most any time. However, if you’re looking for a few possible suggestions check these out:
- Afternoon sipping
- Summer celebrations
One of the super awesome things about this drink is that it is easy to customize. Think about some of these ingredient substitutions and flavor variations that you might like to try:
- Make it sparkling. Who doesn’t love a little bubble in their beverage? Change out the regular water for club soda and make this one sparkling.
- Use sugar instead of simple syrup. Don’t have any simple syrup ready to go and don’t want to make any? Use regular granulated sugar instead you can just dump it in and stir it up. Do be aware, regular sugar can take a little more time and stirring to fully dissolve.
- Fresh squeeze your lemon juice. Although using bottled lemon juice makes this a lot faster, squeezing your own lemons to make fresh lemon juice certainly adds a little extra level up to this drink. Make sure that you either roll your lemons on the counter to soften them up or use an actual juicer to get all the juice out of them.
- Use fresh strawberries. Don’t have any strawberry simple syrup, or perhaps don’t want to make it then you can use fresh strawberries instead. Simply use a cup of strawberries and toss them into the blender with a little of the lemon juice to fully puree them. You’ll probably want to strain them after to remove any of the seeds. Alternatively, you can muddle your strawberries together instead of fully blending them, this will still release juices but will leave a little bit of berry pieces in your drink for some fruity freshness.
- Adjust the sweetness. You can add more or less simple syrup to make this drink sweeter or more tart. The ratios that we use in the recipe below do leave a more tart lemon flavor in the drink.
- Make it frozen. Toss all your ingredients into a blender with half a cup to 1 cup of ice and blend well to turn this into a frozen strawberry lemonade slushie.
- 1.5 oz Lemon juice
- 5 oz Water
- 1 oz Strawberry simple syrup (if you need to make from scratch: 1 cup sliced strawberries, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water)
Make sure you got everything ready including lemon juice, strawberry simple syrup, water, highball glass, ice, jigger and bar spoon.
Go ahead and fill up your glass with ice to the very top.
Measure out 1 oz of strawberry simple syrup and pour that into the glass with the ice.
Note: If you want to measure in cups and tablespoons, see the alternative measurements and the recipe card below. Additionally, if you want to make your own strawberry syrup, we have a full post with all the details you need to make your own strawberry syrup. However, if you just need an overview you can see the details in the recipe card below.
Next, measure out 1.5 oz of lemon juice and add that to the glass with the strawberry simple syrup and ice.
Finally, grab your water and pour it straight into the glass. It should take about 5 oz or so depending on the size of glass you’re using to fill it up.
Then, get everything mixed together. Do this by placing the bar spoon in the glass and stirring well.
- bar spoon
- highball glass
- cocktail shaker optional
- Hawthorne strainer optional
- Saucepan if you need to make strawberry simple syrup from scratch
- 1.5 oz Lemon Juice
- 5 – 6 oz Water
- 1 oz Strawberry simple syrup instructions below if you need to make from scratch with 1 cup sliced strawberries, 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar
Strawberry Simple Syrup
- Slice up 1 cup of strawberries. Add them to a saucepan.
- Add 1 cup of water to the saucepan.
- Add 1 cup of sugar to the saucepan.
- Place the saucepan on medium-high heat on the stove for about 5 – 10 mins. The mix should simmer, but not full on rolling boil.
- Stir the mixture well during heating.
- Remove the pan from the heat and strain the syrup through a strainer to remove any large pieces of strawberries.
- Place the strained syrup in the refrigerator to cool.
- Add ice up to the rim of the highball glass.
- Measure 1.5 oz of lemon juice with the jigger. Dump the lemon juice into the glass.*see below notes if you prefer to measure in cups and tbs.
- Measure 1 oz of cooled strawberry simple syrup with the jigger. Dump the strawberry simple syrup into the glass.
- Measure 5 – 6 oz of water with the jigger. Dump the water into the glass.Pro tip: instead of measuring out the water, just pour it straight into the glass to top the glass off.
- Take the bar spoon and stick it in the glass. Stir the drink well.
- (optional garnish) Add a lemon wedge and/or strawberry slice to the rim of the glass.
- 3 tbs of lemon juice
- ¾ cups of water
- 2 tbs of strawberry simple syrup
- If you don’t want to heat and make strawberry simple syrup from scratch, muddle 5 sliced strawberries with 1 oz of simple syrup. It will be a lighter flavor.
- You can shake this drink by building it in a cocktail shaker instead of in the glass.
- Ramp up the sweetness by adding up to 2 oz of ¼ cup of strawberry simple syrup.
- Make it sparkling by using club soda.