Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Try out this Tokyo tea drink if you are a fan of a Long Island iced tea, but also love melon flavor. This neon green drink is chock full of alcohol and super yummy.
What is a Tokyo Tea Drink?
A Tokyo tea is a combination of vodka, white rum, Midori, sour mix, lemon lime soda, tequila and triple sec. The resulting cocktail is sweet, fizzy and has a delicious melon flavor.
The name of this drink, obviously, is a play on the Long Island iced tea. It is sometimes called a Tokyo iced tea. The Tokyo probably comes from the fact that Midori which is the highlight ingredient in this drink is a Japanese made liqueur. There are many “tea” cocktail variations in addition to this one such as the Long beach iced tea.
In addition to originating in Japan, Midori has a bright green color. It is made from Yubari and honeydew melons. It has a very sweet aand strong melon flavor.
Tequila is a clear liquor that is made from the Blue agave plant. It has a slightly sweet and slightly spicy flavor. Tequila comes in a few different variations. You can use any for this drink, but silver tequila is the most common.
Vodka is also a clear liquor. It is made by fermenting and then distilling grains. It has a rather neutral or tasteless flavor.
White rum is also a clear liquor. It is made by distilling sugarcane. The resulting flavor is sweet with a little spice added in.
Occasions to serve this
Here a few times when this bright green cocktail should be served up:
- College parties
- St Patrick’s Day
- Weekend get togethers
Although this is a standard drink, there are a few ways that you can change it up a little including:
- Add in Gin. You can substitute gin for one of the other liquors or simply add in an ounce.
- Replace vodka, tequila or rum. You can substitute an additional ounce of any liquor and remove one of the other liquors. Additionally, you can use dark or aged rum as well as gold or aged tequila if you prefer over the clear versions.
- Try a different orange liqueur. Triple sec is not the only orange record available if you want a slightly higher grade orange liqueur dry Cointreau or Grand Marnier.
- Make your own sour mix. If you want the freshest tasting cocktail possible make your own sour mix by using lemon juice and simple syrup.
Some similar cocktails include: the LA Water Cocktail, Texas Tea, Walk me Down drink and the blue motorcycle cocktail.
How to make this drink:
Although this one has a whopping seven ingredients, it’s still relatively easy to make. It will take 5 minutes or so due to having to measure each of the ingredients.
- 1 oz Vodka
- 1 oz Tequila
- 1 oz White Rum
- 1 oz Midori
- 1 oz Sweet and Sour Mix
- 1 oz Triple sec
- Top with Lemon Lime Soda
Start out by making sure you have everything necessary to make this drink including jigger, bar spoon or shaker, ice, highball glass, vodka, white rum, tequila, Midori, triple sec, sour mix and lemon lime soda.
Grab your ice and toss it into the shaker and highball glass. Both should be almost full to the top with ice.
Note: Instructions below are for building this drink in the shaker. You can also build it in the glass if desired. Do not fill the shaker with ice for that method. Pour all ingredients into the glass, then use a bar spoon to stir it together.
Grab your vodka. Take your jigger and measure 1 oz of vodka. Toss the vodka into your shaker.
Grab the tequila. Take your jigger and measure one ounce of tequila. Toss the tequila into the shaker.
Grab the white rum. Take your jigger and measure 1 oz of white rum. Toss the white rum into the shaker.
Grab the Midori. Take your jigger and measure 1 oz of Midori. Toss the Midori into the shaker.
Grab the triple sec. Take your jigger and measure 1 oz of triple sec. Toss the triple sec into the shaker.
Grab the sour mix. Take your jigger and measure 1 oz of sour mix. Toss the sour mix nto the shaker.
Grab the gin. Take the jigger and measure 1 oz of gin. Toss the gin into the shaker.
Put the lid over the top of the shaker. Shake well for around 15 or 20 seconds. Remove the shaker lid and place the hawthorne strainer over the shaker. Pour the drink into the glass.
Grab the lemon lime soda. pour it directly into the glass topping the glass off.
- jigger `
- Hawthorne strainer
- highball glass
- cocktail shaker
- bar spoon
- 1 oz Vodka
- 1 oz Tequila
- 1 oz White Rum
- 1 oz midori
- 1 oz Sour Mix
- 1 oz Triple Sec
- top Lemon Lime Soda about 2 oz
- Toss ice into both the glass and the shaker.
- Measure out 1 oz of Vodka and toss into the shaker.
- Measure out 1 oz of Tequila and toss into the shaker.
- Measure out 1 oz of White Rum and toss into the shaker.
- Measure out 1 oz of Midori and toss into the shaker.
- Measure out 1 oz of Sour Mix and toss into the shaker.
- Measure out 1 oz of Triple Sec and toss into the shaker.
- Take the shaker top and cover the shaker with it.
- Shake well until shaker becomes cold to the touch. Typically this is around 15 seconds.
- Remove shaker top and place strainer over the shaker.
- Pour drink into the glass.
- Take the lemon lime soda and top the glass off with it.
- don’t fill shaker with ice.
- Pour all ingredients into the glass including the soda.
- To mix:
- use bar spoon to stir well; or
- toss drink from glass to shaker back to glass
Leave a Reply