Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
The transfusion drink is a beautiful red with a purple tint cocktail. It has a delicious and refreshing fruit juice flavor.
What is a Transfusion Drink?
A transfusion drink is a mix of Ginger ale, grape juice, lime juice and vodka.
Vodka itself tends to be a pretty tasteless liquor and when added to cocktails you typically only taste a little bit of the alcoholic bite from it.
Grape juice, of course, tastes like crisp refreshing grapes. Grapes themselves have a light fruity flavor that does not tend to be overwhelming.
The transfusion drink when mixed together basically takes like a fizzy grape juice with a little hint of lime and booze.
This cocktail was popularized at golf clubs. And that’s no surprise. This is an easy to whip up, yet refreshing and crisp cocktail perfect for sipping before, after (or maybe even during) a round of golf played in the sun.
But you don’t need to limit it’s drinking just to when you’re playing golf. It’s also well suited for any spring or summer outside outing such as a BBQ or beach get together.
How to make this drink:
Though this drink looks like it might be elaborate or hard to make with its unique color, its really pretty simple to whip up.
- 1 oz grape juice
- 2 oz gingerale
- .25 oz lime juice
- 2 oz vodka,
- garnish grapes and limes
First gather together you are glass, cocktail shaker, and ingredients.
Fill both your highball glass and your cocktail shaker full of ice. As a garnish you can add a lime wedge and or a few grapes. What we’ve done is cut one wedge from our lime, place that on the rim of the glass and then take three grapes on a sprig and place those over a cocktail pick on the top of the glass.
Measure 1 oz of grape juice with your jigger and pour into your cocktail shaker.
Measure 2 oz of vodka with your drinker and pour that into your cocktail shaker as well.
Measure a quarter ounce of lime juice with your jigger and add that to your Shaker with your vodka and grape juice.
Place the top on your Shaker and shake well for approximately 20 seconds until the outside of your Shaker is cool to touch.
Remove the top and add your hawthorn strainer to the top of your shaker. Then, for your liquid from your Shaker to your highball glass.
Finally, add 2 oz of ginger ale into your highball glass. Insert a bar spoon and stir gently.
Now you’re ready to enjoy!
- highball glass
- bar spoon
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- 1 4” cocktail pick
- 1 oz 1 oz grape juice2 oz gingerale.25 oz lime juice2 oz vodka, garnish grapes and limes
- 2 oz Ginger Ale
- .25 oz Lime Juice
- 2 oz Vodka
- Grapes (garnish)
- Lime Wedge (garnish
- Start by filling your highball glass and your cocktail shaker both full of ice.
- Next, take your jigger and measure 1 oz grape juice and pour that into your cocktail shaker with your ice.
- Then, measure .25 oz lime juice with your jigger and pour that into your cocktail shaker with the ice and grape juice.
- Use your jigger again, this time to measure 2 oz vodka and pour that into your cocktail shaker also.
- Put the top on your cocktail shaker and shake it until the outside becomes cold to the touch. This usually takes 15 – 20 seconds.
- Take off the top of your cocktail shaker and replace it with the hawthorne strainer.
- Pour the liquid into your highball glass from your cocktail shaker.
- Now, add 2 oz of ginger ale to your highball glass. And give it a small stir with your bar spoon.
- Finally, top the drink off with your garnish. Place a lime wedge on the rim of the glass and use a cocktail pick to skewer a few grapes and place them across the top of the drink.