Are you a fan of banana’s foster dessert, full of cinnamon, butterscotch, vanilla and banana flavor? If you’re saying yes, give this busy to make banana Foster cocktail a taste.
What is a Banana Foster Cocktail?
A banana Foster cocktail is a combination of vanilla vodka, banana liqueur, butterscotch schnapps and a chocolate liqueur. This decadent drink has a taste of banana mixed with sweet cream, butterscotch and a pinch of chocolate.
Banana liqueur is thick, creamy and full of banana flavor. It is a pretty light yellow color which contributes to a little color in this cocktail. Banana liqueur is commonly used for banana flavored drinks such as the banana split shot and the banana cream pie.
The vanilla vodka in this cocktail provides a sweet, vanilla flavor and it contributes the majority of the alcohol content in this drink. Our favorite brand is Stoli. But, you could use any brandy prefer.
The butterscotch schnapps in this drink helps bring in the butter, cinnamon and brown sugar flavors of the banana foster.
The chocolate liqueur helps to add a little sweet chocolate flavor. It also contributes a bit of creaminess. We like to use Godiva in this drink, but you can use your favorite chocolate liqueur.
When to Make This Drink:
This super yummy and sweet dessert drink can be served for occasions including:
- after dinner drinks
- birthday parties
Looking to switch out a couple of ingredients or perhaps add a little decadence to this drink? Try a few of these ideas:
- Substitute the vodka. Bananas Foster typically has rum in it. You could also use rum to make this cocktail. If you choose this route, we recommend to add about half an ounce of vanilla simple syrup to still incorporate the vanilla flavor.
- Use whipped cream vodka. Whipped cream vodka can be substituted for vanilla vodka due to the fact that they both have very similar flavors.
- Add a little cream. Add a splash of heavy cream or Bailey’s Irish cream if you want to ramp up the sweet creaminess in this drink.
- Go crazy with garnishes. We added a simple banana slice to the glass rim. But you could really ramp this up by adding some whipped cream on top of the drink or adding a cinnamon sugar rim as well.
- Use banana flavored vodka. Split the vodka in half and use .75 oz of banana vodka and 0.75 oz of vanilla vodka.
- Make it frozen. Add a couple scoops of vanilla ice cream and blend the whole thing together to make a frozen cocktail.
How to make this drink:
You should be able to shake this one together in about 5 minutes. Make sure you combine everything and shake it well in the shaker.
- 1.5 Vanilla vodka
- 1.5 oz Banana liqueur
- .5 oz Butterscotch schnapps
- .5 oz Chocolate liqueur
- (optional) rim with a banana slice
Gather up everything for this cocktail including butterscotch schnapps, vanilla vodka, cocktail shaker, hawthorn strainer, banana cream liqueur, chocolate liqueur, jigger, rocks glass, ice and banana slice.
Dump some ice into the cocktail shaker.
Use a jigger to measure 1.5 oz of banana cream liqueur. Then, dump that in the shaker.
Use a jigger to measure 1.5 oz of vanilla vodka. Then, dump that in the shaker.
Use a jigger to measure .5 oz of chocolate liqueur. Then dump that in the shaker.
Use a jigger to measure 5 oz of butterscotch schnapps. Then, dump that in a shaker.
Cover the shaker up with its lid and shake it well for around 15 to 20 seconds. Once the shaker is cool to the touch you can stop.
Pop the shaker lid off and cover the sugar with a Hawthorne strainer. Strain your banana foster cocktail from the shaker into the rocks glass.
If you want to add a garnish, now it’s time to do so. Cut a small slice of banana and a place it on the rim of the glass.
Banana Foster Cocktail
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- Rocks glass
- 1.5 oz Vanilla Vodka
- 1.5 oz Banana liqueur
- .5 oz Butterscotch Schnapps
- .5 oz Chocolate Liqueur
- Banana slice optional garnish
- Use the ice to fill both the cocktail shaker and rocks glass to the top.
- Take the vanilla vodka and measure up 1.5 oz with the jigger. Dump the vanilla vodka into the shaker.
- Take the banana liqueur and measure up 1.5 oz with the jigger. Dump the banana liqueur into the shaker.
- Take the butterscotch schnapps and measure up .5 oz with the jigger. Dump the butterscotch schnapps into the shaker.
- Take the chocolate liqueur and measure up .5 oz with the jigger. Dump the chocolate liqueur into the shaker.
- Put the shaker top on and shake it up. The shaker will get cold on the outside after about 15 or so seconds.
- Remove the shaker top off and put the strainer on the shaker.
- Pour the drink into the rocks glass.
- If you want to add a banana slice as a garnish:1) Peel a banana.2) Cut a slice about an inch or two thick.3) Cut a small notch in the slice and stick it on the rim of the glass.