If you’re looking for a decadent dessert shot with a little bit of fruit, then this hot chocolate covered cherry shot is one you must try. With only three ingredients, you won’t believe how delicious this drink is!
What is a Chocolate Covered Cherry Shot?
A chocolate covered cherry shot is equal parts grenadine, Kahlua and Baileys. It is a pretty red colored drink that tastes like a chocolate covered maraschino cherry.
The cherry flavor and the pink color in this drink comes from the grenadine. Grenadine is a bright red very sweet syrup which is actually made from pomegranates. But, most people think it tastes like sweet cherries.
The Bailey’s in the drink helps to add some of the creaminess It has undertones of vanilla and cocoa.
The Kahlua is a dark brown liqueur. It is a coffee flavored liqueur, but also has chocolate undertones and that combined with the chocolate undertones and creaminess of the Baileys creates the chocolate flavor.
When to Make This Drink:
This decadent dessert shot would be fun to serve for occasions including:
- Holiday parties
- Valentine’s Day
- Dessert drinks
If you’d like to change some of the ingredients up in this drink, but maintain a similar flavor then try some of these ideas out:
- Add creme de cacao. Creme de cacao is a chocolate flavored liqueur. If you really want a true chocolate flavor you can use this instead of the Baileys or in addition to.
- Make it layered. If you want a more visually stunning drink then you can layer this one. The Baileys will go on top, the Kahlua in the middle and the grenadine on the bottom.
- Add a little amaretto. Amaretto has a nutty and cherry-like flavor. It can help to play into the cherry flavor in this drink and add a little sweetness.
How to make this drink:
3 minutes is all you need to get this one together. Toss your ingredients and shaker and shake well.
- .5 oz Grenadine
- .5 Kahlua
- .5 Baileys
Gather everything up for the shot including cocktail shaker, hawthorne strainer, grenadine, Kahlua, Irish cream, ice, jigger and shot glass.
Toss a couple handfuls of ice into the shaker.
Pick up the Irish cream. Use the jigger to measure .5 oz of Irish cream and dump it into the shaker.
Pick up the Kahlua. Use the jigger to measure 0.5 oz of Kahlua and dump it into the shaker.
Pick up the grenadine. Use a jigger to measure .5 oz of grenadine and dump it into the shaker.
Cover the top of the shaker with the lid. Shake everything up for around 15 to 20 seconds.
Pop the shaker top off and pour your chocolate covered cherry shot from the shaker into the shot glass.
Chocolate Covered Cherry Shot
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- shot glass
- .5 oz Grenadine
- .5 oz Kahlua
- .5 oz Baileys
- Collect all the items needed to make this shot.
- Take the cocktail shaker and fill it to the top with ice.
- Take the grenadine and measure out .5 oz with the jigger. Dump the grenadine into the shaker.
- Take the kahlua and measure out .5 oz with the jigger. Dump the kahlua into the shaker.
- Take the baileys and measure out .5 oz with the jigger. Dump the baileys into the shaker.
- Use the shaker lid to cover the top of the shaker.
- Shake it all up until the shaker gets cold. This usually takes around 15 or 20 seconds.
- Take off the shaker lid. Use the hawthorne strainer to cover the top of the shaker.
- Strain the shot from the cocktail shaker into the shot glass.