Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you love coffee and also love decadent dessert cocktails you must give the frozen mudslide a try. This cocktail is full of sweet chocolate and coffee flavor.
What is a Frozen Mudslide Drink?
A frozen mudslide drink is a combination of vanilla vodka, whipped cream vodka, Irish cream, Kahlua, vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup and whipped cream. The resulting drink tastes like a coffee infused ice cream sundae. It’s sort of like a frozen chocolate mocha milkshake.
Vodka itself is a clear liquor that is made from stealing fermented grains or even sometimes potatoes. Non-flavored versions of vodka tend to be neutral and almost tasteless. However, vodka does come in a wide variety of different flavors.
Vanilla vodka and whipped cream vodka are both flavored vodkas. Vanilla vodka has a sweet and smooth vanilla flavor. Whipped cream vodka also has the vanilla flavoring as well as cream flavor.
Kahlua is a coffee flavored liqueur. It originated in Mexico and is made from a combination of rum, arabica coffee and sugar. The resulting liqueur has a sweet, smooth coffee flavor.
Irish cream is a liqueur which is made from Irish whiskey, cream and cocoa. It has a very sweet and creamy flavor with strong notes of vanilla and chocolate.
Any type of vanilla ice cream can be used in this drink. However, if you want a really extra creamy delicious cocktail try a high quality vanilla ice cream with vanilla beans in it.
How many calories are in a frozen mudslide?
There anywhere from 550 to 650 calories in a frozen mudslide. When I calculated the calories for the exact ingredients and brands we used it clocked in at 605 calories.
Generally, 1 oz of flavor vodka has around 70 calories. Additionally, Kahlua has around 80 calories per ounce. Irish cream clocks in at around 110 calories per ounce. Three scoops of ice cream, which is about a cup, will be around 280 calories. Then, don’t forget to add the calories for the whipped cream and chocolate syrup garnish.
Occasions for this drink
This decadent dessert drink is perfect for a variety of different occasions such as:
- after dinner dessert
- Drinks with lunch
- informal get together
- hot summer days
There are a few ways you can change this drink up including:
- Make it strawberry. Instead of a regular frozen mudslide drink, add in strawberries, strawberry ice cream or strawberry vodka to make it a strawberry frozen mudslide.
- Change up the vodka. We used vanilla and whipped cream vodka to sweeten up the flavor of this drink. However, you can use just one or the other or even just plain vodka.
- add ice. You can substitute in some ice in place of the ice cream. This will still make a chunky frozen drink but with slightly less calories and a little less creamy.
Some similar cocktails are: the mudslide cocktail, the Frozen Brandy Alexander and the Ultimate Dirty Monkey drink.
How to make this drink:
This drink is a little on the complex side with five different ingredients a blender and two different garnishes. However, you should still be able to whip this one up in 10 minutes or less
- Hurricane glasses
- 1 oz Vanilla Vodka
- 1 oz Whipped Cream Vodka
- 1 oz Kahlua
- 1 oz Irish cream
- 3 scoops vanilla ice cream
- Chocolate syrup (garnish)
- Whipped Cream (optional)
Gather up everything you need for the drink including chocolate syrup, whipped cream, Irish cream, Kahlua, whipped cream vodka, vanilla vodka, sugar, vanilla ice cream, hurricane glass and blender.
Garnish your glass with chocolate syrup. To do this tip the glass slightly sideways and drizzle the chocolate syrup around the inside edges. You can rotate the glass as you go so that it is thoroughly coated in chocolate syrup.
Grab your jigger and your Kahlua. Using your jigger measure 1 oz of Kahlua and toss it into your blender.
Grab your whipped cream vodka next. Using your jigger measure 1 oz of whipped cream vodka and toss it into the blender with the Kahlua.
Measure out three scoops of ice cream. This is usually around 1 cup. Scoop the ice cream into your blender.
Grab your jigger again as well as your vanilla vodka. Using your jigger measure 1 ounce of vanilla vodka and add it to your blender.
Grab your Irish cream and jigger. Using your jigger measure 1 oz of Irish cream and toss that in the blender with everything else.
Next, you’ll need to blend everything together. If you have a smoothie setting using that for 20 to 30 seconds we usually do it. You want to make sure everything is mixed well about the consistency of a milkshake.
Stop your blender and go ahead and pour your drink from your blender into your hurricane glass. Try to pour in the center of the glass so that you don’t mess up your chocolate syrup garnish.
Grab your whipped cream and add a large dollop to the top of your glass. Enjoy!
- Hurricane glass
- 1 oz Vodka
- 1 oz Kahlua
- 1 oz Irish Cream
- 3 scoops Vanilla Ice Cream around 1 cup
- Chocolate syrup garnish
- Collect all the things you need to make the drink.
- Grab the hurricane glass and chocolate syrup. Tip the glass sideways and slowly drizzle the chocolate syrup around the inside of the glass rotating it around.
- Measure out 3 scoops (about 1 cup) of Vanilla Ice Cream and put it in the blender.
- Measure out 1 oz of whipped cream vodka and put it in the blender. 1 oz Vodka1 oz Kahlua1 oz Irish cream3 scoops vanilla ice creamChocolate syrup (garnish)
- Measure out 1 oz of vanilla vodka and put it in the blender.
- Measure out 1 oz of kahlua and put it in the blender.
- Measure out 1 oz of irish cream and put it in the blender.
- Blend everything together for about 30 seconds. Smoothie setting works well.
- Pour the drink from the blender into the hurricane glass.
- Top the drink off with a large dollop of whipped cream (optional)
Leave a Reply