Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Is coffee and spiced rum good? The answer is absolutely yes! This super easy spiced rum coffee recipe is sure to dazzle your taste buds.
What is a Spiced Rum Coffee?
A spice from coffee is a combination of heavy cream, coffee and spiced rum with an optional whipped cream garnish. The resulting warm cocktail is smooth and creamy with a hint of spice as it goes down.
The heavy cream in this drink really lends a little sweetness and creaminess to it. It basically acts like a coffee creamer.
The coffee that you use in this drink can be brewed in whatever your favorite manner is. It’s nice to use a really strong and high quality coffee since it’s the star of the show.
Spiced rum is a complex tasting rum. It has a sweetness like all other rums do, but has spices added in such as cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. These spices shine through in this cocktail.
When to Make This Drink:
With its warmth and little bit of caffeine, this cocktail can be served at occasion such as:
- winter holidays
- fall celebrations
- after dinner drink
If you’d like to change this one up a little, here are a few ideas to try out:
- Make it dairy-free. Instead of using heavy cream, use oat milk, almond milk or another type of dairy-free milk.
- Add a little Irish cream. Leave out the heavy cream, but still add a little sweet creaminess by adding a splash of Irish cream.
- Add some spices. Double down on the spices in the rum by adding a little dash of cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Sweeten it up. Use some sugar, brown sugar or simple syrup to add a little sweetness. You could even try a flavored simple syrup such as brown sugar simple syrup.
- Use a flavored coffee. Try out a cinnamon or vanilla coffee to add a little flavor into this drink.
- Make it decaf. Want to serve this in the evening? Use decaf coffee to cut the caffeine out.
How to make this drink:
Although this one takes around 10 minutes, the bulk of the time is spent brewing coffee. Once you have your coffee ready only need a couple minutes to toss everything together and give it a stir.
- 2 oz Spiced Rum
- 1 oz Heavy Cream
- 4 – 5 oz Coffee
- Whipped cream (optional garnish)
Collect all the necessary items for making this drink including coffee, mug, spiced rum, heavy cream, whipped cream and jigger and bar spoon.
Brew up a pot of your favorite coffee. You can use any brewing method you prefer.
Grab the spice rum and jigger. Using the jigger, measure 2 oz of spiced rum and add it to the mug.
Grab the heavy cream and jigger. Using the jigger, measure 1 oz of heavy cream and add it to the mug.
Grab the hot coffee and jigger. Using the jigger, measure 4 to 5 oz of coffee and add it to the mug.
Pro tip: Skip the measuring for this step and just simply top the mug off with hot coffee.
If desired, give everything a little stir with a bar spoon and then add a large dollop of whipped cream on top.
Spiced Rum Coffee
- Coffee Mug
- Coffee Pot
- 2 oz Spiced Rum
- 1 oz heavy cream
- 4 – 5 oz Coffee
- Make a pot of coffee using whatever brewing method you prefer.
- Measure 2 oz of Spiced rum with the jigger. Toss the spiced rum in the mug.
- Measure 1 oz of heavy cream with the jigger. Toss the heavy cream in the mug.
- Measure 4 – 5 oz of coffee with the jigger. Toss the coffee in the mug.Note: as an alternative to measuring with the jigger, you can just pour the coffee into the mug and top it off